[nagdu] Welcome and I still don't have a dog to work with

Mardi Hadfield wolfsinger.lakota at gmail.com
Sat Jan 24 21:27:22 UTC 2009

Hi every one,   Welcome Kizzy. I am Mardi and I have trained all my guide
dogs with the help of a private trainer. I use Siberian Huskies and work
them from a wheelchair. I am however having a problem finding a new dog to
take over for my current guide who is going on 10 years and has health
issues. I have tried several dogs that did not want to do the job and 1 that
was doing great ,but came up with a hip problem, so she was career changed.
I have had 2 different people call and offer me their dogs which were pure
bred huskies and were the right age. When it came time to make arrangements
to transport the dogs from Phoenix to Tucson, suddenly no one was answering
my emails or phone calls and I never heard from them again. I wish they
would just tell me they had changed their minds as I could understand that,
but to leave me hanging in Limbo with no response, well this is very
discouraging. It seems that a lot of people are trying to find homes for
their Huskies, but I need to find a healthy dog ,the right age and
temperament. I am finding a lot of wild, out of control,unsocialized dogs
that simply would not be able to do the job.When the weather gets hot,which
will be soon here, I will be without a dog. While I can use a cane,a cane
can't tell me where the sound of traffic is coming from, as being deaf in
one ear,I can't tell where sound is coming from. I sure hope I find a dog
soon.     Have a great day,  Mardi and Nala,semi-retired.