[nagdu] Certification?

Julie J. jlcrane at alltel.net
Sun Jan 25 17:02:32 UTC 2009

We have had the certification discussion quite a few times.   there are lots
of different opinions on the topic.  Here's mine.

certification will not solve the underlying issues.  Certification only
ensures that the animal was properly trained and behaved on the day of
testing.  It does not ensure that the owner/handler will keep up with
reinforcing that training.  It does not ensure that the dog or handler will
have a bad day and something unpleasant will happen.  It doesn't ensure that
the dog will behave in all situations all the time, only under the
circumstances of the test.

Certification will cost money.   We are guaranteed civil rights that state
that we are not to be charged additional taxes, fees or surcharges because
of our disabilities.  If certification were to be implemented it would have
to be free to the disabled individual.  The tester would have to travel to
the location of the animal to be certified or travel expenses, reimbursement
for lost work time and incidental expenses for the disabled individual and
animal would have to be paid.  this means more taxes.  That doesn't make me
very excited.

In order for the certification process to be fair to all parties involved,
it would have to be done by an independent third party.  this would most
likely mean a government entity that does not currently exist.   This would
mean the creation of a government agency, training of the staff, and a huge
budget to pay for all those expenses.   Just like other product manufactures
have to have third party independent agencies approve, inspect or test their
products, it should be the same for guide dogs if certification is truly
going to work.

Due to the wide variety of disabilities and the wide variety of tasks that
these dogs do, creating some sort of single certification protocol is going
to be very difficult.     I do not particularly like the idea of being
limited in what or how I choose to mitigate my disability.   I'm not sure
how certification  could work without putting some sort of expectations on
specific things the dog does.

In regard to owner training and being in a situation that required
certification...I do train my own guides and, no, I have never been in a
situation that required certification.  There isn't one in the United
States.   I have never been asked to show any sort of documentation for my
dog.  I believe this is because she was well trained and behaved herself
appropriately.   I have flown on airplanes with her, been in restaurants,
many stores and other places where dogs are not normally allowed.  the
presence of the harness, her behavior, my confident demeanor and my verbal
assurances that I am blind and she is a guide dog are all that was ever
needed.

Now on to the question of people passing pets as service animals...Yes, it
does happen, more than I'd like to admit.  I don't think certification will
help though.  the simple reason is that if people are going to commit
criminal offenses they are going to commit criminal offenses.  Little things
like laws or certification requirements are not going to stop them.
business owners don't know the law now.  I don't think adding another law is
going to increase their knowledge of service animals.

I do think if we had stronger laws with clear consequences of representing
yourself as disabled when you are not or disrupting the normal flow of
business by the poor behavior of a service dog, that it would make a
difference.   I have no idea about how to go about creating laws to weed out
the frauds without infringing on the privacy of actual disabled people.  the
second issue is much easier.  It would be fairly easy to create laws that
give businesses more power to have poorly behaved service animals removed
from the premises.  Actually that provision already exists in the law.  It
would just need to be expanded and given consequences like a fine.

of course all this is JMO and worth the paper its written on. *smile*
Julie