[nagdu] Flying cats and other creatures

sarah baebler wolvessarah at hotmail.com
Wed Jan 28 16:04:03 UTC 2009

Hello,
I can't help but to be reminded of my first time purchasing a flight with my guide dog (not through the school).  I had ordered the tickets online and asked to talk to someone who was in charge of accessible issues, where I had to continue and explain someone that works with the disabled before they actually knew who to transfer me to.  I had to be very specific since I was traveling in a small commuter plane with two seats available for bulkhead that were already taken I had to make some kind of arrangement for me to sit there with my dog since Dante isn't collapsible as his fellow guide dogs, so bulkhead was a must.  During the conversation she asked if he was a REAL service DOG and what breed he was.  I said yeah he's a black lab.  She started asking more questions about what his behavior would be during the flight and if he had flown before.  I couldn't take the suspense, so I asked if they had dealt with service animals before and said I would be willing to help educate the airline.  After she finished giggling and apologizing she explained to me that a woman had boarded the plane and told everyone that a potbelly pig was her service animal (I know they are and can be) and she needed it on board with her.  They let her come on and everything was fine until the plane took off, the pig got up run up and down the isle and started pooping everywhere, then went to first class and ate someone's food then urinated in first class.  She said that the women didn't stop the pig or anything but just sat in her chair while the stewards had to try and catch it.  It resulted in 2 asthma attacks, 1 panic attack, and 3 allergy attacks, and with those 2 trips to the ER.  Needless to say I insured her that Dante would be just fine on the floor and would not be "doing his business" around the plane.
I feel like I agree with both parts of the argument.  On one hand I know a lot of allergic people and have had to leave my dog home because of their allergies.  If they were on the plane with me I wouldn't want to cause a reaction or make them uncomfortable.  On the other hand I know people who would want their cat or small dogs with them for travel because of rough transport, cold, or other problems.  I guess it boils down to what can make everyone happy.  Can we seperate the passengers with pets or the ones with allergies and where does it stop with allowing animals (not service) on the plane.  Do we have huge size dogs on there, pigs, horses, what about chickens or roosters, or spiders and lizards.  I love them all but I am well aware that other do not.  who gets the priority seating.  Let's say that someone has a cat and the other person is allergic.  There is only one seat left and it's in first class who would get it, I'm sure it would be a fight...
Sarah