[nagdu] allergies v. service animals

Tamara Smith-Kinney tamara.8024 at comcast.net
Thu Jan 29 21:25:10 UTC 2009

Bunny,

Well put!  I've attempted to express the same thing on the issue a fuew
times but end up getting super snarly and have to give it up.  /smile/  Like
you, I know people who take responsibility for their own allergies and
asthma, as well as for MCS and the like.  But I know too many others who
honestly expect everyone around them, including the general public, to go
through enormous efforts so the allergy-sufferer won't have to take a
pill...  The same principle, IMO, applies to people with dog phobias.
Xanax, anyone?  Every heard of a shrink?  /smile/  If you would prefer to
move from the priority seating area (as they call it here) where you didn't
belong in the first place without a fuss, then you are welcome to deal with
your fears and anxieties as you see fit, and I respect your decision.  Just
don't expect me to deal with them, thank you.  I had this happen once, only
the person across the aisle spent much of the bus ride telling me that the
person I heard moving away was afraid of my dog, didn't I think?  She got
off where I did and needed our guidance to the train, so had plenty of
opportunity to repeat herself on the subject.  /lol/  Since it wasn't any of
her business, I just repeated nonchalantly that I didn't know, perhaps it
was so, but since the other woman moved away from the dog it was a nonissue
as far as I could tell.  /lol/  I gave a more coherent, informative answer
the first time she brought it up, of course; but sometimes people just won't
let things go, so the best one can do is repeatedly refuse to give them what
they want (I couldn't tell and didn't care, frankly).  Has anyone ever
noticed that dogs and horses, even cats, get the reward refusal aspect of
operant conditioning far more quickly than supposedly intelligent humans?
/snotty smile/  I prefer to deal more directly and assertively, frankly, but
I have discovered in my new life as a blind person that it doesn't seem to
work as well with some people for some reason.  If they won't back off when
asked firmly and reasonably, I've stopped wasting my energy on giving them a
reaction.  Sigh.

Back to the subject.  A majority of our dogs' rearing and training goes to
ensuring that the working guide will be able to go into any human situation
with manners above reproach at all times.  We're taught to maintain
exceptional grooming and health standards to ensure our dogs are fit to go
into restaurants and grocery stores.  Guide dogs schools have, for a number
of years, been working with various hypo-allergenic breeds to address the
issue of allergies and asthma, not only for blind allergy-sufferers, but
also for the sake of allergic family members, etc.  And, to throw in phobias
again, the majority of our dogs are specifically bred to be nonaggressive
from the get-go, while every aspect of their socialization and training is
designed to reinforce their lack of aggression.  The owner-trainers I know
all test their prospects for aggression before anything else and are ready
to retire a dog in a heartbeat if it shows aggression at any time during the
training process.  I had a scare that way during convention, even though my
youngster had never shown the least sign before.  Further observation back
in our natural habitat and as we settled into a new home with another dog,
who can be aggressive, showed that Mitzi was still the peace-loving soul
she's always been, if a sometimes very snotty soul.  Thank heavens I was
able to address the behavior effectively.  I haven't had a chance to see if
it recurs in the presence of other guide dogs yet, but at least I know I can
deal with it at the first sign.  Before it gets out of hand.  Live and
learn.

The point being that we take extraordinary efforts to avoid any negative
impact on the public from our dogs before we ever put on the harness and
head out the door.  We just accept that this is going to be a natural part
of our lifestyle and a significant chunk of our daily schedules -- not to
mention our budgets! -- as part of the package that falls under the heading
"guide dog user."  So, no, we should not have to put up with being hassled
or interfered with or to have to jump through hoops because others won't
take responsibility for their own issues.  Now to convince those folks who
simply can't grasp that simple concept...

But that's why we organize and lobby and work collectively to address
individual instances legally and discuss ways to deal with the hassles
proactively yet positively (it would be more satisfying to bite people
sometimes; metaphorically, or course) without giving up our self-respect and
independence by letting others infringe on our rights by just taking it so
people won't think we're not nice, non-uppity blind people...

It's always great to hear other guide dog users' experiences and their
view on one should or should not, along with how one actualy does at the
time (not always the same thing; at least, not for me!).  And it's also nice
to have a forum to discuss my own learning progress with people who actually
understand the issues.  /smile/

Tami Smith-Kinney