[nagdu] employment and guide dogs

wcmerritt at gmail.com wcmerritt at gmail.com
Sat Jan 31 17:45:54 UTC 2009

For those that work at a state or government agency, there may be
provisions for taking time off in getting a guide dog. At Texas state
agencies, such as the state training center I work at, they have such
provisions, stating that they would cover the first two weeks of my
training and then I had to use my personal time. I was prepared to
cover the whole thing, all 3 weeks, with personal time but when I
found out about the special "assistance dog training" category of
leave, I was very glad for it. That meant that I had to pick up the
last week of my 3 weeks of training with personal time, which was only
40 hours rather than the 120 hours I thought it would be. Perhaps
other state/governmental agencies have something like that as well.

Wayne