[nagdu] Where does the time go?

Jen jenandnixon at gmail.com
Thu Jul 9 16:51:41 UTC 2009

Today, nine years ago, I flew to Toronto to go to Oakville to get my first
guide dog, Bronze. He is now a spoiled retired guide dog, who still acts
like a two-year-old counter-surfer. He will turn 11 in November. He retired
May 17, 2004.

Although, he was a mismatch, I made us work out as a team in the end. He
retired after getting attacked by a loose dog, which was the last straw to
consider retirement, after the head trainer came out to visit us. He saw us
work at Petcetera (which is closing its doors this coming weeks due to
bankruptcy), around other dogs. He observed us, and Bronze didn't exhibit
any behaviors he felt we should retire Bronze, until Mom had the bright idea
to take us to Pawsitive Steps, where I've at the time was taking him to
obedience classes to expose him to other dogs. As we parked in the lot,
another dog in a vehicle, barked at Bronze who was laying at my feet in the
van, barked and jumped right in my lap. The head trainer turned to us, and
saw the behavior, right then and there, "Retire him."  Mom was in the back
seat watching all of this. I was so, so tired and rightly emotional, and
just barried my face into that beautiful black fur when I heard the final
words, "retire him.".

Retiring your first guide dog is usually the hardest. Although, Bronze and I
had a very rough relationship as a team. His bold temperament and behavior
involved a lot of problem-solving on my part, and keeping me on my toes.
Despite all the dog distraction issues he had, his other manners were
excellent and he was a decent guide. He was a restless dog in restaurant, so
his ability to obey me to lie down for the duration of the meal, took a lot
of my time and energy. Over time, he learned that in restaurants, it was
time to take the opportunity to have "power naps". I had a few friends who
hated him, and a relative call him "a huge horse" and a few friends who
adored him. He was a very powerful dog, so not only me could handle him very
well, not even my mother who had been toppled off her feet a few times
holding his leash!

For a tiny gal like me, weighing about 90+ pounds at five foot two, and
handling an almost 85 pound dog, who was all pure muscle was difficult. I
warned training staff while in class, that I couldn't handle a large dog due
to my upper body strength. I wasn't listened to, and sadly, the head trainer
wasn't even present in class! He even had tears rolling down his cheeks when
he was talking to my mother while I went to the washroom at Tim Hortons
after Bronze's scary moment in the van. He felt *TERRIBLE* that I had to go
through the ordeal of training this dog on my own despite my insistence on
follow up. In the end, it was worth it for his retirement though. He is far,
far much happier.

Now that he is getting older, he doesn't play as much, but still in amazing
shape considering the lumps and bumps all labs start to develop over time as
they become "senior citizens". He still jumps onto my high bed, counters and
couches. He defintely does not seem to have any achiness in his old bones.
No signs of arthritis in this boy... He can still run, but not for
long-dinstaces any longer. He is still happy and healthy! Still does the
same stuff he's been doing for years.

I wasn't using e-mail as much or even Livejournal yet when I had Bronze. I
wished I'd documented more of his adventures, like I do now with Nixon.
Although, I have some stories in archives on a few lists that I am a
participant of. Many folks have seen much growth since his retirement, and
watching me become happier and healthier since getting Nixon.

Yes, the day after Bronze's retirement, May 18, 2004, I applied to go to
Guide Dogs for the Blind. Yes, I changed guide dog schools. My experience
with the school where Bronze was from, it wasn't worth it to go again. I had
to move forward and move onto a new path in my life, and I did, with Nixon.

Bronze may only have about a year or two left with us, but I still love him.
Oddly enough, I am starting to see grey hair growing on his tail!!!!!!

Ah, you are growing old too quick my dear boy! *grin*

Jen McEachen and "Nixon" (Class OR109)
Guide Dogs for the Blind, Inc.
Alumni Association Board of Director, Secretary
 <mailto:jmceachen at guidedogs.com> jmceachen at guidedogs.com /
<mailto:jenandnixon at gmail.com> jenandnixon at gmail.com
Check out GDB at:  <http://www.guidedogs.com/> www.guidedogs.com
Join us in our "Virtual GDB downtown Lounge"!
GDBLounge-subscribe at yahoogroups.com