[nagdu] Service Animal Policies of Several Airlines

sam sam at tcq.net
Thu Jul 9 17:02:10 UTC 2009

Hello Angie,

It is interesting you should mention the quick release handle.  I
would have thought they would have come out with one by now as
well.  A couple years back, I was working on a project of a dog
harness.  Not only was it a quick release handle, but it was
totally non-metallic making it great for airport use.  I was very
interested in having them work with me or even help promote the
harness.  However, once they saw it, I didn't hear from them for
over a month, at which time they said they couldn't work with me
because they were working on a project that would give them there
own harness.  Never heard about it again.  The business world is
an interesting place.

Regards,

Sam

Users'" <nagdu at nfbnet.org
>Date sent: Wed, 8 Jul 2009 16:04:19 -0400
>Subject: Re: [nagdu] Service Animal Policies of Several Airlines

>Hi Wayne and all,

>This is why I hope The Seeing Eye comes up with a quick-release
harness
>handle.  I find it much better to remove the handle and leave the
harness on
>the dog.  The handle is easier to stow than the whole harness,
and it's also
>quicker to get the dog ready to move again at the end.

>Angie

On Behalf
>Of Wayne Merritt
>Sent: Wednesday, July 08, 2009 2:48 PM
>To: NAGDU Mailing List, the National Association of Guide Dog
Users
>Subject: Re: [nagdu] Service Animal Policies of Several Airlines

>I take my dog's harness off too, mainly because between my long
legs
>and her long legs, there's not much room under those coach
airline
>seats, and every inch or millimeter counts when it's for the
dog's
>comfort.  I sometimes have trouble with airline folk who want me
to sit
>in the bulkhead.  Truth be told, at least on Southwest, for me
there's
>no diference in amount of room with my dog's and my own long
legs.
>Besides, if there's a wall in front, there's no room for the dog
>stretch out, unless it's to the side.  If there's no one sitting
there,
>then that's fine, but on full flights it can be a problem.
Thankfully
>most of our flights are only an hour.  We're going to Florida in
a few
>weeks and taking one of those smaller jets part way.  I'm
wondering how
>that seating arrangement will work.  Should be interesting.

>Wayne

>On 7/8/09, Linda Gwizdak <linda.gwizdak at cox.net> wrote:
>> Hi guys,
>> I always take my dog's harness off while in flight.  I take it
off at my
>seat
>> and stick it between the wall of the cabin and my seat - I
ALWAYS try to
>get
>> a window seat so people don't have to step over my dog when they
want to
>get
>> up to go to the bathroom.  It's bad enough on my legs and feet
to have
>> Landon on them for a cross-country flight (grin!).

>> Besides "The Seeing Eye" being stamped on the harness, it is
also stamped
>on
>> the leash as well.  On his collar is a Seeing Eye tag and a
California
>> Service Dog Tag.  He and I are going to fly JetBlue in a coouple
of months
>> when we go to Vermont.

>> Hope everyone has had a great convention - I'll be able to go
again
>someday!

>> Cheers,

>> Linda and Landon
Users"
>> <nagdu at nfbnet.org
>> Sent: Tuesday, July 07, 2009 7:56 PM
>> Subject: Re: [nagdu] Service Animal Policies of Several Airlines

>>>I never take off the harness because mostly it is a hassle to get
it back
>>>on
>>> in the small space.  I would think at least in the case of The
Seeing Eye
>>> ones that they would as they both have the school's name on
them.

>>> Cindy Lou

Users'"
>>> <nagdu at nfbnet.org
>>> Sent: Tuesday, July 07, 2009 9:08 PM
>>> Subject: Re: [nagdu] Service Animal Policies of Several Airlines

>>> I always remove Lexia's harness during flight for both safety
and comfort
>>> .
>>> I wonder if the leash and collar would be enough, and, if not,
if the
>vest
>>> that I have for her for such times (which has two patches that
say
>service
>>> dog) would suffice.

>>> Subject: [nagdu] Service Animal Policies of Several Airlines

>>> The recent thread about Frontier (and my desire to
procrastinate) led me
>>> compare the policies for several airlines as posted on their web
sites.
>>> Some
>>> appear not to have been updated since the new regulations went
into
>effect
>>> on May 13.  Some are pages exclusively devoted to service
animals; some
>>> include information for people with disabilities generally.  I
find that
>>> Frontier's policy sounds a little heavy-handed in comparison to
some
>>> others.
>>> What do you all think? I put *** at the beginning of the
material for
>each
>>> airline.  (I apologize that some of the URLs are links while
others are
>>> not.
>>> I'm having formatting issues.)

>>> *** Delta Airlines

>http://www.delta.com/planning_reservations/special_travel_needs/s
ervices_tra
>>> velers_disabilities/special_concerns/index.jsp

>>> We offer special seating for passengers with certain types of
>>> disabilities.
>>> Passengers who can have special seating include anyone:

>>> Who uses an aisle chair to get on the aircraft and can't readily
transfer
>>> over a fixed aisle armrest.
>>> Traveling with an attendant helping them during the flight.
>>> Traveling with a service animal.
>>> With a fused leg.
>>> Return to top

-----------
>>> ----

>>> Service Animals
>>> We welcome service animals in the aircraft cabin, such as dogs
and
>monkeys
>>> trained to assist passengers with mobility, visual, or hearing
>>> disabilities.

>>> A service animal must be in the floor space where the passenger
sits and
>>> may
>>> not get in the way of an aisle or any area that needs to remain
clear for
>>> emergencies.  (That's why we can't seat you in the exit row.)

>>> Some locations (Hawaii, Great Britain, etc.) have quarantine
laws for
>>> animals, or might not permit their entry at all.  See Health
Requirements
>>> for
>>> more information.

>>> We, or your travel agent, will be able to help you find out what
the
>>> requirements are for your destination.  But remember, it's up to
you to
>>> follow the regulations.

>>> Return to top
>>> *** Frontier Airlines

>http://www.frontierairlines.com/frontier/customer-service/travel-
support/pla
>>> nning-your-trip.do

>>> traveling with a service animal
>>> We accept service animals trained to assist passengers with
disabilities
>>> in
>>> the cabin of our aircraft at no charge.  Here are a few things
to know
>>> about
>>> traveling with a service animal:
>>> A health certificate is not required for service animals.
>>> Identification of a service animal, including one or more of the
>>> following,
>>> is required:
>>> Animal identification card
>>> Harnesses, vests, capes or backpack with appropriate
identification
>Verbal
>>> assurance detailing what services the animal provides, as well
as the
>>> training received A written statement or completion of Frontier
Medical
>>> Authorization Form
>>> 30905 (PDF) by a mental health care professional may be required
for
>>> passengers wishing to travel with a therapeutic/emotional
support animal.

>>> Your service animal must be properly harnessed for the duration
of the
>>> flight(s).  A proper harness is considered a collar and leash or
guide dog
>>> harness.  The animal may sit at your feet and may not sit in the
aisle or
>>> another seat.  If the animal is small enough, it may sit on your
lap.  If
>>> you
>>> are traveling with a service animal, you may not be seated in an
>emergency
>>> exit row.

>>> NOTE: We reserve the right to refuse to accommodate an animal in
the
>cabin
>>> if credible proof of service and training is not available, or
if the
>>> animal
>>> is considered aggressive or disruptive.

>>> *** JetBlue

>http://help.jetblue.com/SRVS/CGI-BIN/webisapi.dll?New,Kb=askBlue,
case=obj(10
>>> 95)

>>> Guidelines/Requirements - Service Animals on JetBlue JetBlue
welcomes
>>> service animals in the cabin, at no additional charge.
>>> JetBlue will accept one service animal per qualified individual
with a
>>> disability; JetBlue will make every reasonable effort to
accommodate you
>>> in
>>> the event that you require the assistance of two or more service
animals.
>>> You may purchase a second seat so that the animal can be
accommodated in
>>> accordance with FAA safety regulations or wait until a later
flight (if
>>> the
>>> animals cannot be accommodated together at a single passenger
seat).

>>> Please note the following when traveling with a service animal:

>>> Service animal(s) may not obstruct an aisle or any other area
used for an
>>> emergency evacuation.  Service animals typically should remain
on the
>>> floor;
>>> however if the animal is small and well-behaved, circumstances
may permit
>>> the animal to remain in your lap during all stages of flight.
>>> Certain unusual service animals (i.e.  snakes, other reptiles,
ferrets,
>>> rodents and spiders) pose unavoidable safety and/or public
health
>concerns
>>> and will not be allowed to jet with us.  The release of such an
animal in
>>> the
>>> aircraft could result in a direct threat to the health or safety
of
>>> customers and crewmembers.
>>> Service animals in training are not accepted.
>>> Service animals may not occupy a seat.
>>> JetBlue will provide assistance to and from Airport Animal
Relief Areas
>>> for
>>> Customers and their service animals.
>>> Currently there are no vaccination requirements for service
animals on
>>> domestic flights.

>>> Types of Service Animals
>>> Service Animals - A Service Animal has been through some type of
training
>>> perform a specific active function, such as path finding,
picking up
>>> objects, carrying things, providing additional stability,
responding to
>>> sounds, etc.

>>> Emotional Support/Psychiatric Service Animals - An Emotional
Support or
>>> Psychiatric Service Animal can only be used by persons with a
diagnosed
>>> mental or emotional disorder and need not have specific training
for that
>>> function but must be trained to behave appropriately in a public
setting.

>>> Documentation and Requirements for Traveling with a Service
Animal
>Service
>>> Animals

>>> Service Animals shall have identifiers such as identification
cards,
>other
>>> written documentation, presence of harnesses, tags or "the
credible
>verbal
>>> assurances of a qualified individual with a disability using the
animal".

>>> Please note: documentation is not required as a condition for
permitting
>>> an
>>> individual to travel with his or her service animal in the cabin
unless a
>>> Customer's verbal assurance is not credible.

>>> Emotional Support/Psychiatric Service Animals

>>> Emotional Support/Psychiatric Service Animals require current
>>> documentation
>>> (i.e., not more than one year old) on letterhead from a licensed
mental
>>> health professional stating:

>>> that the Customer has a mental health-related disability that
having the
>>> animal accompany the Customer is necessary to the Customer's
mental
>health
>>> or treatment that the individual providing the assessment of the
Customer
>>> is
>>> a licensed mental health professional and the Customer is under
his or
>her
>>> professional care the date and type of the mental health
professional's
>>> license and the state or other jurisdiction in which it was
issued.

>>> International Travel with a Service Animal If you are traveling
with a
>>> service animal on an international flight, please read the
additional
>>> health
>>> documentation requirements here.

>>> *** Southwest Airlines
>>> http://www.southwest.com/travel_center/disability.html

>>> Assistance Animals
>>> Trained Assistance Animals

>>> Southwest Airlines welcomes trained assistance animals on all of
our
>>> flights.  In accordance with federal Safety regulations, the
animal must
>be
>>> positioned so as not to obstruct Customers' expeditious
evacuation in the
>>> unlikely event of an emergency.  Except when too large to be
safely
>>> accommodated, a trained assistance animal traveling with and
providing
>>> assistance to a Customer with a disability will be accommodated
in the
>>> aircraft cabin on the floor in front of or next to the Customer
with a
>>> disability.

>>> Emotional Support Animals

>>> Animals used for a Customer's emotional support are accepted in
the
>cabin.
>>> In order for a Customer to travel with an emotional support
animal, the
>>> Customer must provide to a Southwest Airlines Employee current
>>> documentation
>>> (not more than one year old) on letterhead from a mental health
>>> professional
>>> or medical doctor who is treating the Customer's mental
health-related
>>> disability stating:
>>> The passenger has a mental or emotional disability recognized in
the
>>> Diagnostic and Statistical Manual of Mental Disorders - Fourth
Edition
>>> (DSM
>>> IV)
>>> The passenger needs the emotional support or psychiatric service
animal
>as
>>> an accommodation for air travel and/or for activity at the
passenger's
>>> destination The individual providing the assessment is a
licensed mental
>>> health professional, and the passenger is under his or her
professional
>>> care
>>> AND The date and type of the mental health professional's or
medical
>>> doctor's license and the state or other jurisdiction in which it
was
>>> issued.

>>> Customers traveling with an assistance animal or an emotional
support
>>> animal
>>> cannot sit in an emergency exit seat.

>>> *** United airlines
>>> http://www.united.com/page/article/0,6722,1045,00.html

>>> United Airlines and United Express welcome service animals
accompanying
>>> persons with disabilities.  There is no fee for service animals,
and they
>>> may
>>> travel in the aircraft cabin as long as they do not obstruct an
aisle or
>>> any
>>> other area used for emergency evacuations.

>>> It may be helpful to outfit your service animal with a harness
or vest to
>>> make the animal's status obvious to airport personnel.  If the
animal's
>>> status is questioned, you simply need to provide credible verbal
>assurance
>>> that the animal is assisting a passenger with a disability.

>>> Please note that quarantine restrictions may apply.  Check with
your
>travel
>>> agent or a United reservations agent at least one month prior to
>departure
>>> to find out if there are any regulations specific to your
destination.

>>> Emotional support animals
>>> Emotional support animals are considered to be service animals.
However,
>>> customer traveling with an emotional support animal will need to
have
>>> documentation on letterhead from a licensed mental health
professional,
>>> dated within the past 12 months, stating that the customer is
under
>>> professional care for a mental-health-related disability, and
that the
>>> animal's assistance is essential to his or her mental health.

>>> Therapy animals
>>> Therapy animals, which are pets that have been trained and
registered by
>>> therapy organization in order to visit nursing homes, hospitals,
schools
>>> and
>>> other facilities, are not considered to be service animals.
When
>traveling
>>> with a therapy animal, standard pet-related regulations and
restrictions
>>> will apply.

>>> Destination-specific information

>>> Hawaii
>>> There are restrictions regarding the entry of service animals
into
>Hawaii.
>>> Customers planning to travel to Hawaii should contact the Hawaii
Animal
>>> Quarantine Branch manager directly for quarantine requirements.
The
>>> 24-hour
>>> phone number is 808-837-8092.  You may also view animal
quarantine
>>> information at the Hawaii Department of Agriculture web site.

>>> United Kingdom
>>> United Airlines is permitted to accept service animals on
flights to the
>>> United Kingdom.  Because UK regulations for accepting service
animals are
>>> very strict, both United and our customers must carefully follow
the
>>> appropriate procedures.

>>> As part of those procedures, any customer who intends to travel
with a
>>> service animal must obtain a preapproval letter from Defra
(Department
>for
>>> Environment, Food and Rural Affairs), a UK government agency.
Please note
>>> that the preapproval process for transporting service animals to
the UK
>>> can
>>> take up to two months.

>>> Visit the Defra web site for more information about requirements
and
>>> procedures for taking animals into the UK, or contact Defra by
phone at
>>> +44
>>> 870 241 1710, Monday through Friday, 8 a.m.  to 6 p.m.  UK time.
(Please
>>> note:
>>> Before dialing the number above, you must first enter the
international
>>> direct dialing code.  In the United States and Canada, this code
is 011.)

>>> Other international destinations
>>> Many countries restrict the entry of animals.  Restrictions vary
by
>>> country,
>>> and customers should contact the appropriate embassy or
consulate at
>least
>>> four weeks before departure to make sure that all necessary
procedures
>are
>>> followed.

>>>     *** US Airways

>http://www.usairways.com/awa/content/traveltools/specialneeds/ani
mals.aspx

>>> Service animals
>>> Service animals are welcome on all US Airways flights.  There is
no charge
>>> for trained service animals.
>>>  The number and type of service animals are not limited provided
they
>>> can fit on your lap or in the area directly in front of your
seat.  Aisles
>>> may not be obstructed.
>>>  If the service animal sits on the lap of the passenger, the
animal
>>> must be no larger than an infant child.
>>>  .Additional restrictions apply for travel with service animals
on
>>> flights outside of the continental United States
>>>  If you're traveling with a service animal and if you would like
>>> special seating such as a bulkhead seat, please call US Airways
>>> Reservations
>>> at 800-428-4322/TTY 800-245-2966 at least 24 hours before your
departure.
>>> In
>>> compliance with safety regulations, if you're traveling with a
service
>>> animal, you may not sit in an exit row.
>>> To show that an animal is a service animal, please provide:
>>>  I.D.  card for the animal
>>>  Presence of harness or tags
>>>  Other written documentation
>>>  Credible verbal assurance of the passenger using the animal
>>> Emotional support or psychiatric service animals Please call US
Airways
>at
>>> 800-428-4322/TTY 800-245-2966 at least 48 hours prior to your
scheduled
>>> departure if you're traveling with emotional support or
psychiatric
>>> service
>>> animals.

>>> To travel with an emotional support or psychiatric service
animal in the
>>> cabin, you must provide current documentation dated within one
year from
>>> the
>>> date of the scheduled initial flight on the letterhead of a
licensed
>>> mental
>>> health professional (psychiatrist, psychologist or licensed
clinical
>>> social
>>> worker).  Documentation must state:
>>>  The passenger has a mental or emotional disability recognized
in the
>>> Diagnostic and Statistical Manual of Mental Disorders -- Fourth
Edition
>>> (DSM
>>> IV)
>>>  The passenger needs the emotional support or psychiatric
service
>>> animal as an accommodation for air travel and/or for activity at
the
>>> passenger's destination
>>>  The individual providing the assessment is a licensed mental
health
>>> professional, and the passenger is under his or her professional
care.
>>>  The date and type of the mental health professional's license
and
>>> the state or other jurisdiction in which it was issued
>>> Hawaii animal quarantine
>>> Hawaii is a rabies-free state.  If you're traveling to Hawaii
with a
>>> service
>>> animal, emotional support animal or psychiatric service animal,
you must
>>> have a health certificate issued within 14 days prior to travel.
You must
>>> also contact the Hawaii Department of Agriculture to get a
Neighborhood
>>> Island Permit before leaving the mainland if you're traveling to
Maui,
>>> Kauai
>>> or the Big Island.

>>> US Airways will only permit service animals, emotional support
animals
>and
>>> psychiatric animals in the cabin for travel to/from Hawaii.

>>> When the service animal or emotional support animal, or
psychiatric
>>> service
>>> animal is a bird or for information on requirements for allowing
service
>>> animals, emotional support animals and psychiatric service
animals to
>>> enter
>>> the state of Hawaii without quarantine, please contact the
Hawaii
>>> Department
>>> of Agriculture.

>>> Hawaii Department of Agriculture
>>> Animal Quarantine Station
>>> 99-951 Halawa Valley Street
>>> Aiea, HI 96701-5602
>>> Phone: 808-483-7151
>>>  Visit the Hawaii Department of Agriculture's website UK animal
>>> quarantine The United Kingdom is a rabies-free country and its
rules
>>> governing the entry of animals into the country, including
service
>>> animals,
>>> are strictly enforced.  In the past, all animals traveling into
the United
>>> Kingdom were subject to quarantine for six months.

>>> Now, if you meet certain requirements, it is possible to
transport a
>>> service
>>> dog or a service cat in the cabin on a flight into the UK,
without a
>>> six-month quarantine upon arrival.

>>> When making a reservation, or no later than 72 hours before
departure,
>you
>>> must notify US Airways of your intention to transport a service
dog or a
>>> service cat in the cabin on a flight into the UK.

>>> At the gate, prior to departure from the U.S., and upon landing
in the
>>> United Kingdom, you must present a date-stamped official
veterinary
>>> certificate, signed by a veterinarian licensed by an approved
country or
>>> an
>>> EU pet passport demonstrating that the animal has received:
>>>  A microchip implant readable by an ISO-compatible scanner or by
>>> another scanner compatible with the implanted microchip provided
by the
>>> passenger.
>>>  A vaccination against rabies.
>>>  A rabies antibodies blood test.  This test must be completed at
least
>>> six months before the animal's initial entry to the UK.
>>>  Treatment for certain parasites.
>>> The passenger is responsible for the costs and fees associated
with the
>>> UK's
>>> Pet Travel Scheme.

>>> For detailed current information about compliance procedures, go
to the
>>> UK's
>>> Department for Environment Food and Rural Affairs (DEFFA)
website.
>>>  UK's Department for Environment Food and Rural Affairs (DEFFA)

info for
>>> nagdu:

>http://www.nfbnet.org/mailman/options/nagdu_nfbnet.org/ntorcolini
%40wavecabl