[nagdu] Fw: [Seeingeye-l] [GDUI-Friends] Re:[buddy-l]YoungDogsSlowing Downin the Summer heat.

Julie J julielj at windstream.net
Fri Jul 10 11:40:30 UTC 2009

Lisa,

I'm a bit confused about what you are referring to.  I think this discussion
is going on several lists and we missed some in the middle of this thread.
So if what I'm about to offer makes no sense or doesn't apply to your
situation please use the delete key. *smile*

Varying a route can sometimes be a simple as crossing the street and walking
on the other side, reversing your direction if your walking in a loop or any
other alteration of the route.  It might also be helpful to give her some
time out of harness to just walk on leash.  If you are walking on a trail at
the park for exercise this might be a good place to let her do that.

I've not had a dog who didn't pull hard enough.  My issue has been to get
them to quit pulling my shoulder out of socket! *smile*  So these ideas are
just ideas and may not be worth the paper their written on.

Gently pull back on the handle until you get the pressure you want then
praise, give treats etc.  I'd do this at first without moving and add only a
few steps at first, building up to longer distances. If you are familiar
with clicker training it would work well with this approach.

Get really excited and happy, be a cheerleader.  Pick up your pace or even
jog a bit.  Do this in a familiar environment where you know there aren't
any obstacles.  Most dogs will respond to the excitement by getting excited
themselves.

Luring might be helpful, but it is not my favorite way of teaching things.
Basically this is the carrot in front of the horse method.  It is awkward,
but you hold a treat in your right hand out in front of her encouraging her
to pull to get to the treat, then give the treat when she does pull.  Like I
said I don't particularly like this method because a lot of dogs just focus
on the treat and not what in the world they did to get it.  I did use this
method with my previous dog to teach her to keep focused with head forward
in distracting situations.

You might also try putting the leash in your right hand and giving gentle
pressure forward.  this would mean stretching your right arm forward so the
pull from the leash is forward instead of back.  It would also be important
to use gentle constant pressure and not a correction.  I think correcting
will make the problem worse.

HTH
Julie