[nagdu] traveling at convention with a cane versus a dog

Charlene Ota caota at hawaii.rr.com
Fri Jul 10 14:52:28 UTC 2009

Before I had my dog, I used to think it must be awlful to take a guide dog
to convention because of all the crowds. However, since I've had my dog, I
have really appreciated having him at conventions as it has often made it
much easier to get places. This year the hotel was confusing no matter
whether you use a cane or dog, but I found that it made life easier having
the dog hands down! But you do need to make some concessions in order to
consider your dog. The crowds at the ends of general sessions could get
particularly bad and so I found it better for the dog and probably myself as
well to get a head start and leave a little early.  That leads me to think
that it might not be a bad idea if we developed a little pamphlet of
suggestions for people attending conventions with their guide dogs, a little
survival guide like thing.

Charlene