[nagdu] Man's dog in a McDonald's results in Taser use

Tamara Smith-Kinney tamara.8024 at comcast.net
Mon Jun 1 18:49:24 UTC 2009

Good point, Sarah.  We can't know what was going on around the man at the
time or why he became so confrontational -- or why they became so
confrontational, either.

One thing I realized when I began going about with my white cane and having
to struggle a bit with the new identity it gave me is that, as a blind
person, I am fortunate not to see the reactions of others to having a
defective in their midst.  I've had a number of friends in wheelchairs or
with other visible disabilities over the years, when I had enough field of
vision to see the looks and body language that could turn a 15 minute stroll
into a rabies-causing nightmare for my friend.  OMG!  It's everywhere, and
for a person with a full field of vision, would be unavoidable.  I can't
imagine what that constant pricking is like.

Of course, I can go cheerfully about without worrying how people are
reacting to my defective, unclean presence, because I don't even know
they're there.  Except for the really nasty ones who feel strongly enough to
make themselves known by getting in my way.  /grim smile/  I no longer find
these folks startling enough to notice unless someone else comments on the
episode.  Oh, right!  That was a pretty rude thing that person said/did.
/lol/  I only notice when the rude one comes up with something new I haven't
heard before, and put it on my mental list of "sighted people say the
darnedest things."  /lol/

I had a few friends in the early days who would get weirded out by the looks
and body language, but there's a simple solution to that for both of us:
Just don't hang together.  My roomie and friend, Daisy's Dad, finds the
whole thing rather amusing, although every now and then I hear him sigh when
I stop to talk poodle or guide dog to a "friendly." /lol/  A friendly is, of
course, someone who stops to gush over my ultimately adorable companion.  I
was going to call her my sidekick, but let's be realistic.  /grin/

It's funny how lacking the feedback of body language and expression can
affect one's view of the world.  I assume every child in the world lives to
embed their tiny little fingers in my poodle's luxurious black curls because
she would rather they didn't, so I can tell when a child approaches her with
unwelcome touching in mind.  If we're going along minding our business, and
I hear a shrill, tiny voice going on about something that is distressful to
its owner, I cheerfully assume that that is Somebody Else's Problem and am
happy the kid is not coming to pet my dog.  The other day, I made some
comment about Mitzi and children, and my roommate informed that many, many
children we pass are absolutely terrified of her.  Apparently, that is what
the distressed whining and crying is about.  /lol/  Who knew?

Anyway, I don't' know what to think of the tasered man's incident at all.  I
find it distressful personally, but on a rational level...  As a country and
culture, we're going this upheaval, and times are hard and all that.  Even a
cursory study of history shows who ends up taking the brunt of it.  Those
who are different!  Since those of us with disabilities are not only
different but, in the minds of many, defective, it's my belief that we do
need to watch out these days and not assume we're living in the same culture
and society we grew up in.  Sorry for the dark view, but I tend to believe
that awareness is a good thing.  Doesn't mean we need to go around in fear,
just that we need to be aware that the world may be different than what
we're used to these days.  I do believe that in the end, we will be a better
society and more enlightened because of the changes for good and ill we hve
been through over the past decade.  How's that for seeing the glass as half
full *and* half empty?  /smile/

I always appreciate the views of those who have had experience with
discriminatino and access issues, so that I can learn something about how to
handle myself when I find myself in similar situations...  So far, I only
come up with stuff that doesn't fit the model, so I'm still baffled.  Ah,
well.  /smile/

Tami Smith-Kinney