[nagdu] Do's and Don't's

Wayne Merritt wcmerritt at gmail.com
Tue Jun 2 14:09:52 UTC 2009

Accidents in the house: Though my first guide, a Lab, through up or
had other accidents on a semi-regular basis, I've yet to have anything
major happen with my current guide, a GSD. The GSD did make that heavy
panting sound one night around 2am, and I eventually got up to take
her out since I thought, "What if I ignore it? What will she do?" That
happened again the next night and a third night. However, I began to
wonder if she was just wanting to get me to go outside, even if she
didn't have to throw up, or as an excuse to pee. I talked with a
coworker about this, and the next time my guide tried this new trick,
I just told her in a firm voice, "No, go to sleep," and she eventually
did. It hasn't happened again.

Feeding: Tami, I had trouble with my current guide in getting her to
eat as well. There were times that she decided that she wasn't going
to eat for 30 or more minutes after I put the food down, until I was
in the room, and there were times she just didn't eat. I talked with
some trainers about this, and I eventually started feeding her once a
day in the evenings. Now, she eats her food within a few minutes of me
putting it down and I don't  have to be in the room either. Though she
takes longer to eat, she finishes her meals more often now than she
did before. Every so often she won't finish, and I'll put it away for
the next night.

Wayne