[nagdu] Woman with guide dog says civil rights were violated

Marion & Martin swampfox1833 at verizon.net
Sat Jun 6 20:58:49 UTC 2009

Jenine,
    You are correct about the language of the ADA. The quandry is that law
enforcement officers are only charged with enforcement of state laws. Since
the ADA is a Federal civil law, the remedies are not enforced by local law
enforcement. One of the reasons NAGDU is diligently forming divisions at the
state level is to have some influence on the legislative process and create
sound laws that are enforceable by state officers. The state process is much
quicker, in most cases, and more likely to be pursued than a Federal
complaint. Very few Federal complaints are ever even investigated, let alone
charged.
    My comments are not based upon Texas statute, only a point of
information for those in other states to consider and check out. It seems,
however, that this woman attempted to educate law enforcement about her
civil rights and the State Attorney may have been  unwilling to file charges
because of the ramifications for the same charges against the police
officers who may have also violated her civil rights.

Fraternally,
Marion