[nagdu] Woman with guide dog says civil rights were violated

Linda Gwizdak linda.gwizdak at cox.net
Sun Jun 7 05:08:29 UTC 2009

Hi all,
I get that "you don't look blind" crap.  I used to be offended because I
thought the person saying it was meaning to deny that I was visually
impaired.

After some discussion on this with some sighted friends, I realized that
that phrase could be a compliment.  They're telling me that I don't look
like the STEROTYPE of blindness - you know, rocking, jamming fingers or
fists in eyes, not looking towards the person you're talking to, etc. And I
KNOW I don't fit that!  This is what people associate with blindness - thus
the pity crap we get at times. So, no, I don't "look" blind.  I'd venture to
say that many of you on this list don't "look" blind either (grin!).

Yeah Mardi, sometimes life's too short and it's a good answer to someone who
asks you if your dog is a service dog and you answered "yes". And you roll
off in your wheelchair.

I have a friend who throws people for a loop.  She has Retinitis Pigmentosa
and is losing her vision and she got her first guide dog when I got Landon.
She can still see people's facial expressions and even saw a man wink at
her! the lighting outside was very good. I never even saw the man - never
mind his wink! LOL!  She had to explain what a wink was - I could never see
well enough to see that.  So, I only knew it was a word to describe
something someone did with their eyes.

Linda and Landon