[nagdu] Lines in the sand?

Angie Matney angie.matney at gmail.com
Sun Jun 7 17:49:30 UTC 2009

Hi Jenine,

I agree that I would tend to be more lenient if the person tried to control
the behavior. The behaviors that would really get to me, particularly if the
handler did nothing to try to curb them, are excessive scavenging, excessive
noise, and negative reactions to people with different physical
characteristics.

As far as scavenging goes, I'm not talking about a dog who snarfs French
fries off the floor (I think this is a problem, but I don't think it's
access-denial stuff). I'm talking about a dog who continuously goes for food
on tables or in carts or whatever. My last dog was an Olympic-class
scavenger, so I know how hard this one can be to manage. (Thankfully, she
generally confined her performances to stuff on floors.)

I have sadly come across several dogs who growl and occasionally lunge at
people who look different from their handlers. I have several
"almost-denials" because of a service dog who lived in the same town that
growled at and lunged toward African-American staff in some local
businesses. I do not know that the handler tried to stop this behavior. I
have a feeling that s/he did not, but it is hard to know. In one of my work
places, there was also a guide dog who escaped from its handler and cornered
one of the secretaries in an office, growling at her. This dog also did not
like people with particular physical characteristics. This happened before I
started working there. I learned later that some of the staff had been a
little concerned that Glaze would do the same thing. Of course, she did not.
She was a hit with every person in that office.

Re: grooming: This one is one that is close to my heart.  Yani has some
pretty serious allergies. Now, they are mostly under control. But for a
while there, I had a choice: I could either be lax with grooming and let her
shed everywhere, or I could brush her, which stirred up all kinds of
dandruff, and listen to people tell me how I should brush my dog more
because of the skin flakes she would be shedding. That is a difficult
situation to be in, and I am glad she is doing much better now. This sounds
harsh, but I don't know if I could continue to work a dog with those kinds
of problems once I am working for my law firm and visiting clients in their
places of business. I do not think someone should be denied access because
of this, though.

Just my thoughts,

Angie