[nagdu] Lines in the sand?

Garry and Joy Relton relton30857 at cox.net
Sun Jun 7 19:10:02 UTC 2009

Hi Julie,

I agree with much of what you said except. I dislike strongly when guests at
my house let their dogs off of leash and do not take responsibility for any
of the following: climbing on my furniture when I have asked them
specifically not to allow their dogs on it, grabbing food off of plates or
the table, emptying in my yard with the expectation that "your husband or
son can see it and pick it up". Having said all of that, I don't mind if
dogs are off leash in my home, especially since I have a back yard that is
fenced in and the dogs like to play. Also, any dog will grab food if they
think that they can get away with it, but doing nothing to prevent or curb
it makes no sense to me. AS far as aggressive behavior, it needs to be more
than a growl or a moment of aggressive behavior which is quickly and firmly
stopped. I've never had a dog with the slightest aggressiveness in him or
her but I know of some dogs whose nature is to growl a little to assert
their importance. In my home, when they encounter one another I don't get
too upset about that if it's just a singular warning growl and it is
responded to appropriately by the owner. The lunging, biting and being
outwardly aggressive and out of control will probably earn you an invitation
to leave immediately with your dog, if visiting in my home.
I do not have patience for the aggressive and grabbing food behavior from
pets or my own dog guide. The act itself is not usually as serious as not
doing anything about it.

Ok, I'm climbing down from my soap box now.. I'll take a deep breath and
shut up.

Joy