[nagdu] question

Julie J julielj at windstream.net
Thu Jun 18 13:22:53 UTC 2009

Yes, both of my dogs are allowed in the kitchen.  they are both lab mixes.
One is extremely food oriented and the other not so much.  I did teach them
a word to mean out of the kitchen when I don't want them in there.  It's
small and sometimes gets crowded.

Monty used to countersurf when I first got him.  He did a whole load of
crazy stuff.  Anyway I was just super, super aware of where he was and what
he was doing.  If he went into the kitchen to check out the offerings I
would call him to me and praise like crazy and maybe give a treat.   If he
managed to take something off the counter, I would remove it from his mouth.
If I was upset about the event I would put him in his crate to give myself a
break.  Sometimes I would tell him "no" if I heard his feet leave the floor,
immediately followed by "come" and praise.

The main things that fixed the problem were being hyper aware of what he was
doing and asking for an incompatible behavior before he got into trouble.
In the beginning I also tried to not leave too many temptations on the
counter.  Now I don't have to be so careful about what I leave out.

It worked for us.  I hope you find something that works for you.
Julie