[nagdu] Service Dog ID cards

Mardi Hadfield wolfsinger.lakota at gmail.com
Sun Jun 21 20:19:33 UTC 2009

 Hi every one,  I have been asked many times for identification for my dogs.
Once I was in the emergency room of the local hospital with a severe asthma
attack, ( I had to take the bus to get there as the ambulance refused to
take my chair and my dog) the security guard walked by Nala and his dog went
off on her and he had to pull it back. Several minutes later I was
approached bu the head of security who told me I had to remove my dog. I
explained that she was a guide dog and he insisted that I needed to show ID.
I did not have an ID card at the time and told him that it was not required
under the federal ADA law. He continued to hassle me. Finally a nurse
stepped in and told that I was blind and to leave me alone, as my dog was
better behaved than their own guard dog. I always said that I would not
carry an ID but after this incident and having to fight with animal control
every time I went to renew my dog license, I gave in. My trainer Nick made a
card for my dogs on the computer. I also found a web site "The United States
Service Dog Registry" which will register, not certify, your service dog for
free. You can pay a $50 fee and get 2 ID cards, a certificate, a tag, and a
patch to sew on your vest. This however is not required. It is there if you
want all that stuff. I did not get it. I can however tell any one that
inquires that my dog is a registered service dog and they can go on the
Internet to this web site and verify it.I was given a number  for each dog
and Nick put the numbers on the cards he made me. Now I won't have a hassle
to get my dog license this year. I have not been asked for ID since I have
the cards now, but I know it is only a matter of time . This is Tucson.If it
isn't a "Handi-Dog" it is not a service dog.............. Have a great day,
Mardi and Nals,semi-retired and Shaman, gdit

--
http://wolfsinger-lakota.blogspot.com/