[nagdu] statement re: ownership and qeustions re:schools policies

Garry and Joy Relton relton30857 at cox.net
Mon Mar 2 17:26:52 UTC 2009

I think that it is important to look at a school and a trainer from the
perspective of providing good training and giving you tools with which to
work in working with and training your dog. It has been my experience that
treats and/or food has been suggested for me to use with my dog from the
Seeing Eye to teach a certain task. It was also emphasized that it should be
accompanied with praise. Remember, SEI grads, "affection, correction and
praise" that balance is important. The other thing that is important is not
to over feed the dog when giving treats. So, if you use food, make it small
amounts and subtract from daily feedings if it's of any significance. Also,
never do it if it becomes a distraction for your dog. I.e. the dog is
thinking "oh boy, I get a treat" not "wow, she wants me to show her this?" I
once had a dog, my third, who just didn't want to move down the side walk at
any pace. Despite encouragement, enthusiastic, "hup, hup". and "good boy!"
he just plotted painfully slowly. One of the trainers suggested soda
crackers. I would give his leash a little pull forward praise him and give
him a soda cracker. Then if he moved praise him. It took a few soda crackers
but he finally caught on and I just stopped giving him the soda crackers.
I believe that there are very few absolutes in dog training. Each dog is
different and, as one of the trainers at SEI says "you have to get into the
dog's head and figure out what he/she is thinking".

On the wet dog issue, I have taught my dogs the command "shake". I use it
before we enter the house with fairly good success. It's harder to use in a
place of business because you could be shaking water all over some
unsuspecting customer, but I have found some ways to do this when there's a
cover in front of the door which is wider than the door way. The rain coat
also helps.

On the issue of grooming and caring for your dog and it affecting your
access into a place. I feel strongly that proper care of your dog is it's
pay check and when you are not grooming, feeding, giving obedience
exercises, providing proper veternarian care and keeping your dogs behavior
within appropriate boundaries, it's you who should suffer because you are
not keeping up your end of the partnership. All to often, the dog is blamed,
not the user. Most of the time it's the person, and not the dog who is at
fault.