[nagdu] Labs and other things

Jenine Stanley jeninems at wowway.com
Tue Mar 3 01:46:02 UTC 2009

Haben,

Labradors are generally the most trained breed at most US schools for a
couple reasons.

They are indeed easily trained for the most part. They have a wide range of
sizes, within the breed standard of course, ranges of energy and activity
level and temperaments. They also produce large litters for the most part
over 5 puppies per litter.

Labs also are not prone to some of the health issues other breeds face,
though this is becoming less true as their popularity continues to increase.

There is not as much hip dysplasia, epilepsy, cancer, eye problems or
allergies in Labs as Golden Retrievers or German Shepherds. The "success
rate," meaning dogs who make it from puppyhood to matching with a blind
person, is highest for Labs.

It's also another reason why they are used in several crosses, the most
popular and successful of which is the Lab/Golden cross, but there's the LP
and the Lab/shepherd cross that some schools have used.

As for why schools don't use more Poodles, it has to do with finding good
stock. Standard Poodles have gained popularity since they were found to be
one of the "smartest" breeds in some survey or other about 10 years ago or
so. Then we got into the whole Poodle cross craze where anything crossed
with any size Poodle was better simply for the Poodle part of it. Someone
was actually crossing Doberman Pinchers with Standard Poodles. I simply
can't imagine what that cross would look like. <grin>

The Poodle in general has been so overbred for pets, even the Standards,
that finding good solid dogs with good health and appropriate temperament
for work isn't easy.  Poodles are prone to a number of health issues from
epilepsy to eye problems and cancer along with temperament issues like
suspicion, aggression and noise sensitivity. Poodles at most schools who use
them, which now I think include GDF, Guide Dogs of the Desert, Leader and
Pilot, sorry if I missed anyone there, have a really low success rate, much
like German shepherds if not lower.

It also takes a different way of raising and training a Poodle to assure
success. Finding puppy raisers who have the time and conditions and
experience to work with Poodles and Poodle crosses can be difficult.

Schools are really trying to improve their lines by working with each other
using frozen semen and artificial insemination. This way we can utilize
lines from Europe, Australia, etc., to add variety to our own stock and vice
versa.

Schools are also trying other breeds in small experiments to find a variety
for the needs of blind people. Smooth coated collies, Viszlas, Dobermans,
Flat Coated Retrievers and crosses of these breeds, collies and flat coats,
with Labs and shepherds and the odd other dog tossed in, like the Boxer or
giant Schnauzer, help to meet needs but finding good healthy solid dogs of
any breed is not easy.

Hope that helped some.

 Jenine Stanley
jeninems at wowway.com