[nagdu] My access "strategy"

Angie Matney leadinglabbie at mpmail.net
Wed Mar 4 19:39:53 UTC 2009

Weighing in really, really late on this...

I think that it's possible that people who are originally from other countries are sometimes confused about the intersection of disability access and health department regulations. It's possible that the individual in Tami's situation thought he *had* to
handle the situation the way he did. I'm not suggesting that this completeley excuses his actions, but it's one possible explanation. I also agree with those who said that the "wet dog" thing shouldn't be an issue in this situation. For me, there's still an
unpleasant emotional component about being asked to sit in a segregated area; but I have definitely encountered restaurant personnel who had no ill will toward me but felt they had to deny me access. (I've also encountered people who genuinely
didn't want me in the place.)

When someone challenges my right to enter an establishment with my dog, I try to convey with my body language that 1) I have every right to be in the place, and 2) the person who is objecting is doing so from a lack of understanding, not because
they don't want me there. As an example, if someone tells me I can't enter a restaurant with my dog, I keep moving (if this is possible) and say, "It's OK, she's a Seeing Eye [or guide[ dog." I deliberately say, "It's OK..." instead of, "Yes I can." This is
not so much based in the mentality that I need to be super nice to these people so I won't give blind people a bad name (though there's nothing wrong with behaving nicely if you can do it without compromising your rights); it's because I can convey
to the person that to challenge me is to behave in a way that society finds unacceptable. I want the objector to think that *I* think he is merely confused, not confrontational. He then has to take an extra step if he really wants to challenge my right to
be there.

Once, one of these objecting people apparently really did not realize my dog was a guide dog. He made it a point to tell me how much he loved dogs in general and German Shepherds in particular. (grin) I really do think he was confused about my
particular dog, not the general concept.

I certainly won't hesitate to be firm and quote laws if I need to do so. But putting the objector in the position of having to insist that he is denying me access can often be effective.

Hope that made sense.

Angie