[nagdu] nagdu Class Date and other things

Brent Reynolds burddawg at bellsouth.net
Thu Mar 5 18:53:20 UTC 2009

Hi, Lora,
I have shipped a dog back to the school early and raised cane for about four
months until the next class date.  And, I have walked through the
school's front door with a handle on the retiring dog to begin
training with a successor dog.  I've actually done that trick twice.

The major airports have suitably-sized crates they will sell you and include
in with the price to fly the dog to Detroit.  Back in March or so of 2004, I
shipped a dog back to The Seeing Eye on Delta Airlines from Atlanta to
Newark, New Jersey.  The total price including the fare and the crate was
about 212 dollars which The Seeing Eye payed.  They didn't mind paying for
the crate, since they use them on a regular basis anyway when shipping or
flying dogs around the country for various reasons.  Delta's price for the
crate was something like 95 dollars.  I could have bought same model of
crate at a PetsMart store for around 82 dollars and hauled it to the
airport.

The dog was not exactly happy with the arrangement and whined a bit and
barked a couple times as he was being sheeled away towrd the loading area
while he could still see and hear me.  Needles to say, he survived the trip
just fine and ended up living a long and happy retired life after that trip.

Given the choice to ship dog back early or take dog with me to the school, I
would personally opt to keep the dog and take her back to the school when I
would go back there.   If various aspects of your situation might not allow
you to keep the dog that long, then flying back in a crate is perfectly
fine.  After all, dog fanciers and other show people do it all the time.
Now, if the dog could speak her mind as to which she would prefer, it would
be a no-brainer.  The dog would definitely rather fly with you any day if
she could be given the choice.

Brent Reynolds, Atlanta, GA  USA
Email: burddawg at bellsouth.net  Phone: 1-404-814-0768