[nagdu] Where's your leash?

Allison Nastoff anastoff at wi.rr.com
Sat Mar 7 04:59:22 UTC 2009

I hate to admit it, but I am guilty of not keeping good track of
Gilbert on occasion.  My trainer told me to always have the leash
under my leg, or foot, even when we are not working.  Sometimes,
I fall into the "Gilbert's such a good boy.  He won't go
anywhere," or the "my hearing is good, so I would know if he got
away," trap, or I will shift in my chair and not realize that the
leash is not under my leg anymore.
About a month after I got Gilbert, and my third day of college,
class had just ended and I was packing my things up to leave.
Everyone else had already left, including Gilbert! I found this
out when a boy came back in and said shyly, "uh, your dog's in
the hallway." Fortunately, someone found him, and brought him
back.  In another incident, my vision teacher took me and a
friend out to lunch.  At that particular restaurant, I thought
the best place for Gilbert was a little corner up against the
wall right by our table.  I was able to reach down and touch him,
but I didn't have the leash under my leg.  You can probably guess
the rest of the story.  I got caught up in conversation, and a
while later realized, "Uhoh, I have not checked where Gilbert is
in a while.  Sure enough, during our conversation, he sneaked out
from his corner, and was laying on the other side of my feet.
Needless to say, I felt like such a looser.
Trainers can advisse you to keep the leash under your leg at all
times, but only after a couple of real-life experiences did I
take this advice seriously.  I think it is cool that the dog
trainers tried to simulate what could happen if you weren't
vigilant.  I don't agree with the tears and humiliation, but the
concept is a great idea for a first-time dog handler.
Allison and Gilbert

Users'" <nagdu at nfbnet.org