[nagdu] Where's your leash?

Ann Edie annedie at nycap.rr.com
Sat Mar 7 08:42:50 UTC 2009

Hi, All,

That story reminds me of when I was at TSE getting my first guide.  My
roommate's dog, a tall German shepherd, slipped out of the room when someone
opened the door, and he went running through the building, tearing up and
down the hallways, just having a grand lark, until he was finally captured!

My own dog, who was, by the way, a chocolate Lab, was very mellow and stayed
close to me at all times.  Of course, I still made sure that I had his leash
attached to some part of my body at all times, and that he was in contact
with some part of my body also, usually with his head resting on my feet.
He was so calm and well-behaved that we used to joke that he was actually a
ten-year-old dog whose gray muzzle had been masked with brown shoe polish.
We figured that he had been a drug squad dog, and that now he was in the
witness protection program and was assuming a second identity as a guide
dog.  He was a great dog, very mature for his 21 months of age.

Another incident that occurred during my class serves as a reminder of
another famous trainerism.  One evening during a lecture, when all the
students and dogs were gathered in one of the lounges, one of the dogs
quietly got up and wandered across the room to go socialize with another
dog.  When the handler realized that his dog was gone--I think the
instructor had to inform him of this--he spluttered out the dog's name
several times, with ever-increasing desparation in his voice, hoping that
this would bring the dog back to him.

The handler was dismayed when this did not produce any noticeable effect on
his errant dog.  After a dramatic pause, during which I'm sure the handler
saw his life pass before his eyes, the instructor said quietly, "You might
try 'Come.'"  And sure enough, when the handler said the dog's name again
followed by the magic word "Come", the dog went right back to him.

This was an excellent demonstration to all of us of the usefulness of using
those command words to let our dogs know what we wanted them to do.  For the
rest of that class, when anyone got flustered and forgot to correctly cue
their dog, and wondered why they got no response, the phrase, "You might try
'Come,'" would immediately bring them back to earth.

Best,
Ann