[nagdu] Things I wanted to discuss, but just didn't have time to

Mardi Hadfield wolfsinger.lakota at gmail.com
Sat Mar 7 08:33:56 UTC 2009

Hi every one,  I have been so busy these past few days, that I have not had
time to read or post. Now that I have caught up on the reading, I am going
to attempt to catch up on my posting.  I have always trained my dogs to find
and to follow. I have found it to be very helpful.I also have noticed that
when people pet Nala when she is in harness, She will turn her head away
from them,as if she were tying to tell them to leave her alone,as she is
working. People always want to pet the cute snow dog. I wonder if people
will be so quick to pet Shaman, or will they refrain from petting him him
because he is a large shepherd,who looks like he could remove a hand or two.
It will be interesting to see if there is any difference. When I go into a
restaurant, I try to sit away from other people so no one will bother my
dog. There have been times when this was not possible and I ended up sitting
next to kids who felt it their mission was to feed my dog french fries,
which thankfully, she refuses,as I have taught her never to take food from
any one but me.  I don't know which school it is but they have the rare
black and tan labs. I think they are very beautiful, and would not mind
having one of them. I like the black labs ,more than the yellow or chocolate
ones. I don't think they are different in temperament, it's just my color
preference. However if I needed a dog and they were the only ones available,
I would be happy to have any dog that could do the job.I am wondering why
non of the schools have tried the curly coated retrievers. They have a curly
coat that never needs trimming and they are retrievers. I would think they
would have a similar temperament as a lab.I also wonder why the school that
train for wheelchair users haven't tried some huskies. I know for a fact
that they are very trainable and always want to work and don't know what the
word tired means. They do mellow out  with age, but still have enough energy
to work all day and then some,with out being hyper. They always have that
happy go lucky attitude and are never grouchy. They have a great sense of
self preservation, which makes them good in traffic. They are very capable
of thinking for them selves, and while I realize that they are not for every
one, they do make excellent guides. I would have preferred to get another
husky, but I just could not find one the right age. They were either too
young  or too old.The two husky crosses, I tried just did not work out. I
have reservations that Shaman will have the same energy level that my
huskies have , and wonder if he will be able to keep up with me. I guess
time will tell.   Have a great day,  Mardi and Nala, semi-retired and
Shaman, gdit