[nagdu] shorelining

Julie J. jlcrane at alltel.net
Mon Mar 9 12:28:56 UTC 2009

Thanks Jeanine!

I use over right and over left to move the dog to the right or left edge of
something, a hallway, a street, a parking lot etc.

I mainly use over right when I am in a crowded pedestrian situation.  For
example the park very near my house also has a baseball field.  the sidewalk
that borders the field must be ten feet wide or more.  When there are games
it is essential that we walk on the right side with the flow of pedestrian
traffic.   Or if we are in a large open place, hotel or mall, and I want to
find a particular room or store that is on one side or the other I will use
the over commands to shoreline on that side so I can listen for where I want
to turn.

Generally on  a street with no sidewalks I will walk on the left hand side.
However this is not always the most practical or possible solution.   So I
teach the dog to also shoreline on the right.  It just makes sense to me to
have the most options so I can negotiate any sort of situation that might
come up.

I teach over right and over left by clicking for the right position.  There
is a street that I like to use to teach this skill that has a lot of slope
so it is easier for me to tell how close to the curb we are.  the closer to
the middle of the street you get, the flatter it is.   For the left side
curb I use a cane to check and for the right curb I will generally just use
my foot.   If the dog has drifted out I heel them back to the right place
and continue.   I like the dog to work very close to the curb, maybe only a
few inches out.  I do quite a bit of travel in situations with no sidewalks,
so the dogs get lots of practice.

It has been a long while since I have taught this concept, but this is the
way I remember doing it.  I haven't gotten to these concepts with Monty yet.
He is still learning stationary left turns. *smile*  We have made a lot of
progress with them in the last week.  I think he is just about ready to move
on to the next step. When I get to the place where I am ready to teach him
over I'll have to think through how I plan to approach it with him in more
detail.  I'll let you all know how I teach it to him and how it worked out.

Julie