[nagdu] Where's your leash?

Tamara Smith-Kinney tamara.8024 at comcast.net
Tue Mar 10 20:24:42 UTC 2009

Yeah, I do that, and for a long time I used a leash that fastened snugly
around my waist so I didn't have to worry about losing her when we were
doing leash work with the cane.   With my regular thin leash, I loop the
handle over my wrist and then will make another loop around my hand so I
don't drop it...  Then stop for whatever reason, drop the harness handle and
play with the end of the leash in my hand without realizing what I'm
doing...  I hae had many long, hard talks with myself about this, but it
took a long time to break that habit!  I also stand on the leash, say when
I'm paying for something and need both hands, but it took me awhile to get
into the habit of not moving that foot.  This was when she was young and
squirly, so she took advantage of the opportunities my carelessness
presented.  /smile/  She never actually got into "real" trouble, but this
was not quite the etiquette to which I aspired.  For either of us!  /grin/

When I'm seated someplace, I will tie the leash to my ankle or leg.  Or I
did, until I noticed that it was very talented at untying itself!  I'm sure
it was the one stealthily leading my innocent young poodle quietly and
unobtrusively toward that scrap of food under the next table.  /grin/
Again, she never made "real" trouble, but it still drove me batty.

The dozens of scenarios that would flash through my head every time I
reached down to verify that she was where she belonged, were highly
entertaining and wildly exciting.  /smile/  That moment of "OMG!  Where is
she?  And what is she *doing*?" could be better than hours of aerobics for
raising my heart rate.

The halti helps to monitor the nose, which has a life of its own and is on a
very long, stretchy neck.  She's gotten to be pretty trustworthy, even in
the grocery store, without it, but it will still be a part of our regular
gear, just in case.  She has very nice manners these days, and I'm really
happy with her off-leash obedience, as well as her leash manners.  Her (and
my) guide dog etiquette is getting better and better, but it's a long way
from nice manners when she's being a dog to the adherence to the rules of
etiquette I expect from her as a guide.  She's getting there, and those
little faux pas are fewer and farther between.  Whew!

I still wonder if I've suffered permanent trauma from her wild youth,
though.  /grin/

Tami Smith-Kinney