[nagdu] shorelining

Tamara Smith-Kinney tamara.8024 at comcast.net
Wed Mar 11 23:34:49 UTC 2009

Nicole,

I weave around like a drunken sailor, bouncing from one edge of the sidewalk
to the other because I simply cannot get myself oriented.  Sometimes I can
get myself straightened out by stopping and going through the mental process
of getting it all figured out (using traviic sounds and the like), but
sometimes when I do that, it's even worse when I get going again.  It drives
me batty, but if I've got somewhere to be, I just keep reeling along like a
drunken sailor.  Only I don't sing offkey sea chanties.  /grin/

It used to happen much more frequently, because for some reason a
progression would throw my whole brain into a tailspin until it got itself
"rewired" properly.  It was like all the work I had done to adapt to that
point would just go away for a few days.  But I had too much to do to just
stay home and wait for it to all get better, so I soldiered on.  Clumsily.
/smile/

Now I only have brief episodes -- a minute or two, if that -- of such utter
disorientation, and that hardly ever.  I've been having some fast
progressions over the winter, though, and keep getting lost walking through
the family room in broad daylight.  Weird feeling, that.

Since I'm either using Mitzi as a guide or have her with me when I'm using
the cane (like for a casual walk to or from the dog park), I stay pretty
oriented everywhere else.  I tease her that she "jingle guides" even off
leash because I can always orient toward the sound of her tags.

Tami Smith-Kinney