[nagdu] legislation for service dogs

Marion & Martin swampfox1833 at verizon.net
Fri Mar 13 15:09:47 UTC 2009

Rebecca,
    As for access issues not being criminalized, it depends upon the state.
For instance, some states, such as Florida, Georgia, Illinois, Michigan, and
Ohio have criminal codes that address this issue. Other states, such as New
York, Virginia, maryland, and Wisconsin, have civil remedies. The model
legislation written by the NFB includes criminal penalties, but it is up to
the legislature of each state to decide this. NAGDU will introduce a
resolution at the national convention that, if passed, would make it a
national policy initiative for the Federation to urge state legislators to
create criminal penalties for discrimination based upon disability.
    The problem with law enforcement is the same sort of attitude we face
from the general public. Ignorance has no socioeconomic barriers. Many of us
within the Federation have worked with law enforcement agencies to educate
their personnel about the laws that protect us from discrimination; however,
we will never completely erase such ignorance. All we can do is continue our
efforts and find more effective avenues through which we can do this.
    I participated in a two-day workshop conducted by the Illinois Attorney
General's Office about disability issues for State attorneys and law
enforcement supervisors last year and this made a tremendous impact. We now
have an excellent relationship with the AG's office and can quickly resolve
such issues with a simple telephone call to our contacts there. We also have
developed a similar relationship with the Wisconsin and Florida AG's
offices. We now have only 47 more to go!
    Many members expect the Board to do all of the work. I get regular
messages asking what "you will do about" this issue or that. My response is
always, "I will be happy to work on this issue. How can YOU help?" Usually,
I don't get a reply! However, from time to time I do get one and those
people take on a leadership role for us. The Board cannot do anything unless
the membership pitches in. Everyone must remember that the Board of
Directors are members first and leaders secondly! we cannot lead without the
cooperation of others who will follow. Along the way, everyone must work.
BTW, all of our leaders are workers, too, willing to roll up their sleeves
and get their hands dirty. If there is a leader who is not willing to work,
the membership should fire them with their votes!

Fraternally,
Marion