[nagdu] Warning about Nylabone

Julie J. jlcrane at alltel.net
Sat Mar 28 02:07:07 UTC 2009

I really think it depends on your dog and the particular type of Nyla bone
you have.
Examples:
Belle is a very light chewer with low interest in just lying in one place
and chewing on something for pleasure.  She had a flavored Nylabone intended
for puppies and older dogs.  In almost two years of chewing it only had
light teeth marks on one end.

Enter Monty a very extreme chewer.  In one session with that Nylabone there
were pieces missing.  He was able to pull off chunks.  I immediately took it
away.

I purchased him a different Nyla bone that is intended for very hard
chewers.  In six months of chewing on it, there are only teeth marks, no
pieces missing.  I feel very comfortable leaving him to chew on it with
minimal supervision.

I do not give Greenies or rawhide because of the risk of chewing off large
chunks that could be swallowed. I think it comes down to knowing your dog
and purchasing toys that are appropriate for that particular dog.

JMO
Julie

----