[nagdu] Local fair-housing complaints fromdisabledpeopleareonthe rise

Craig Borne cdborne at gmail.com
Sat May 16 21:42:14 UTC 2009

Hi Sarah,

I really think this distinction is apples and oranges.  There is no
"bending" or "modification" of a no pets policy for service animals because
they are not considered "pets" under the law.  Marion is correct that
certain policies may have to be adjusted for service animals, but I don't
think that applies here because the law already states that service animals
are exempt from this rule.

As for damages, a pet policy is not needed to make the renter liable for
damages.  If I were a cane user, and using my cane in the apartment put
dings or holes in the wall, I would still be responsible for the repair of
the damages.  If I were sick and throw up on the carpet, I would still need
to get it cleaned.  The guide dog makes no difference in this situation.

Craig

Craig Borne, Esq.
Baltimore, Maryland
"A long habit of not thinking a thing wrong, gives it a superficial
appearance of being right, and raises at first a formidable outcry in
defense of custom."  --Thomas Paine, Common Sense