[nagdu] vet reports/was/Re: TSE and Guiding Eyes comparison

Angie Matney angie.matney at gmail.com
Sun May 17 20:56:19 UTC 2009

I really don't think the word "paternalistic" applies to most of these
situations. It is my understanding tha the strict definition of paternalism
involves making a judgment for someone based on what you believe is in their
best interest. If a school said they required me to send in vet reports so
they could make medical treatment decisions for my dog, that would indeed be
paternalistic. If a school required me to send in a vet report for whatever
reason, it might be considered custodial. If a school asks me to keep them
apprised of my dog's health to improve their breeding program, this is
neither custodial nor paternalistic.

I think Dan made a good point. Maybe some people are afraid that the school
will take the dog away if it has, say, ,gained too much weight. (A service
dog school did recently remove a dog's vest for this reason, though it left
the dog with the handler.) I don' tknow how to combat this issue.

Finally, in my opinion, I think that incentives for reporting health data
should not ginclude veterinary products or extra discounts. I believe that
such a policy would conceivably coerce people to provide information against
their will. I think that more neutral incentives would be better. But I
obviously am not employed by a school, and this is an outsider's
perspective.

Angie