[nagdu] vet reports/was/Re: TSE and Guiding Eyes comparison

Merry Schoch merrys at verizon.net
Mon May 18 02:02:09 UTC 2009

Hi Jeanine,

I don't chime into many discussions on this list, but since I am currently
waiting for a guide dog placement with GDF, I have a bit a stake here.  I am
glad to see that GDF doesn't require these reports.  My past experience with
both my guides is that I had my vet examine the dog(s) when I first obtained
them so the school was aware that I had done this.  With my first, I believe
I sent the school a report after they mailed me the form to fill out.  To be
honest, I don't think I ever received another form.  The second guide, I
never received an requests.

I am soo lucky to have a vet that is actually a mobile vet.  He is the
greatest guy and so very fair.  We have set it up that he comes out at the
same time for each dog.  I believe that showing a school that you have
established your dog with a vet is not a bad thing, as long as voluntary.
If my dogs have any problems, I am responsible and respectful enough to
inform the school.  My Teller hated puppies.  This was noted in his puppy
information, but I was never informed.  Didn't find out until I got in the
back of a puppyraisers vehicle and told her it was fine to put her puppy
back there with us...which Teller attacked.  Kinda goes both ways, huh?
This dog ended being retired for biting my grandchild twice (neither times
did she provoke this).

Anyway, I am glad with my choice to choose GDF, and can't wait to get my new
guide.

Merry