[nagdu] Newbies to guide dog use

Linda Gwizdak linda.gwizdak at cox.net
Wed May 20 16:29:18 UTC 2009

Hi DeeAnne,
Let me start by saying that the term isn't "eye seeing dog".  Terms used are
" Seeing Eye dogs" which apply to dogs trained at The Seeing Eye in
Morristown, NJ, "guide dog" or "dog guide".

That said, technically, any person getting a guide dog MUST be deemed
"legally blind" by an eye doctor.   I think it is 20/200 in the best eye
WITH correction by lenses OR have a visual field of 10 degrees or less
(tunnel vision).  However there are many variables tossed into the mix.

Many times a person with alot of sight who are still deemed legally blind
has trouble with trusting his or her safety to the dog.  they try to steer
the dog instead of allowing the dog to function as trained. I'd say that
most guide dog users are either totally blind or pretty close to it.

I have partial vision in one eye - almost totally blind in the other. My
central vision is fairly good for things up close and good light and
contrast. I have a less than 10 degrees of periferal vision.  I may see a
black spot on the concrete sidewalk.  But I don't know if it is a patch with
some blacktop, a shadow, or a hole.  I have to rely on my dog to tell me by
his actions. If we just walk over it, then it is a patch.  I look up to see
if somethiong's causing a shadow - and if nothing is there and my dog takes
me around it - then it is a hole!  I can look for visual landmarks and still
trust my dog to watch out for the stuff my vision misses. At night, I am
totally blind.  Like a person with Retinitis Pigmentosa, I have "night
blindness".  I have to TOTALLY rely on my dog for safe travel.  I have to
work my dog the same regardless of if it is daytime or nightime.  I was
trained with my white cane under sleepshades so I learned to rely on other
nonvisual cues as well like sound and what's under my feet.

As far as your friend goes; does he have trouble seeing during travel?
That's both during the day or at night.  Has an eye doctor deemed him
legally blind?  Has he had Mobility and Orientation training with a long
white cane?  Does he lead a lifestyle that would allow him to travel
independently with white cane or guide dog? And, does he WANT a dog?  A
guide dog IS a dog with everything that goes with dog ownership and not just
a fuzzy cane.  Or does a family member or friend want the dog for him. To
avoid this, the schools interview the prospective student ALONE so they get
a feel for the wishes of the person.

Lots of times people think our dogs do everything for us and we merely hang
on for the ride.  They don't realize the teamwork required for successful
guide dog use.  They think that the dog would make a nice companion - we're
really lonely souls trapped in the dark (grin!) - which we certainly are
NOT.  Working and living with a guide dog takes time and commitment for it
to be successful.  Everything taught at the school HAS A REASON - the blind
person's safety is paramount!

Lets assume your friend is qualified and wants a dog.  Research the guide
dog schools.  There is an excellent book by Toni and Ed Eames called "A
Guide To Guide Dog Schools" it is available on National Library Services for
the Blind wich is in every state.  He would need to see which school would
best meet his needs.

Hope this has been helpful to you.  Also, encourage your friend to subscribe
to this NAGDU List.  We have a wide range of experience with guide dog use -
everything from people considering their first dog and all the way up to
long time guide dog users. We have some who have elected to train their own
dog and also one who uses a guide miniature horse! Encourage him to pick our
brains - that's why we are here!

I am on my eighth dog and have been a user since 1973.

Regards,

Linda and Landon