[nagdu] Preventing escapes

Allison Nastoff anastoff at wi.rr.com
Sun May 24 05:33:00 UTC 2009

Usually, I do not take off Gilbert's leash or harness until we
are safely inside my house, and the door is closed securely.  If
I do decide to unleash him before getting into the house, I
always stick a finger through the ring of his collar until we are
in the house just in case he decided to run.  I agree that what
happened in Indianapolis was unfortunate and tragic, but it can
also serve as a lesson that even a highly trained guide dog is
still a dog, and we should never take a chance and let them off
leash when it isn't safe.
Allison and Gilbert

Users'" <nagdu at nfbnet.org
>Date sent: Sat, 23 May 2009 20:21:47 -0400
>Subject: [nagdu] Preventing escapes

>The unfortunate situation in Indianapolis got me thinking and so
I'll ask
>folks here this question.

>What steps do you take to prevent your dog from escaping out an
open door?

>If the dog has gotten out, what did you do to get him/her back?

>I really do try to enforce the policy that the dog only goes
through a door
>outside when I give it the command to do so, in or out of
harness.  If a dog
>starts barging through doorways, even ones inside buildings, I'll
>the class method and have the dog sit once it's stopped for the
doorway, or
>bring it back to heel and then sit.

>This doesn't always make the dog door-proof, but it does help.

>After shutting one of my dogs outside because I'd removed his
leash and
>harness on the porch while I opened the door, and obviously
didn't give him
>enough time to get in, I keep them leashed until they get inside.

>Of course, most instructors will tell you that daily obedience is
critical
>for just these situations.  Do we do it though? No comment.
<grin