[nagdu] Missing guide dog found struck by car

Tamara Smith-Kinney tamara.8024 at comcast.net
Sun May 24 18:21:35 UTC 2009

Linda,

Good point about the different experiences between a pet dog and a guide
dog.  Because of the physical problems I'm finally on the verge of
recovering from, I made the decision early to give Mitzi extensive off-leash
time and training, to improve our odds if she does get loose.  Which she has
a couple of times, but I was able to recall her.  It's an unorthodox
decision, given the value of her training and her importance to me, but I
felt it was the best choice for us.  Also, I ate lots of Tums during her
youth.  /smile/

It wouldn't be practical for guide dog schools to do that with their dogs as
a matter of practice, or for the majority of guide dog handlers to practice
it, either.  Now that I'm able to reliable hold onto my girl, believe me I
do, except for when I mean to be working on off-leash stuff.  I plan to add
hiking and camping into my lifestyle as I get my health back and can have a
lifestyle, so that training will come in handy, I think.  Also, Tums.
/smile/

I'm sorry about your friend's dog.  I can't imagine, and it can happen so
easily with just one forgetful moment.  I'm glad you did not lose your dog
when that happened!

Tami Smith-Kinney