[nagdu] Missing guide dog found struck by car

The Pawpower Pack pawpower4me at gmail.com
Sun May 24 20:19:33 UTC 2009

Tami,

I agree with you about lots of off leash time for training purposes.
I think, sometimes, especially with assistance dogs that off leash
time is such a rare treat that when a dog gets loose he is too busy
experiencing all those fun things like sniffing and running free and
doing those things is not as rewarding as returning to the handler.

I work on recall from day one with my dogs, and make the recall a very
high-value exercise.

Also with my border collie, I did some herding and I needed to be able
to call her off of the sheep to return to me; training her to do this
ensured she has a fantastic recall.

I do think it's important to keep dogs secured etc. but accidents do
happen, sadly.

Rox and the Kitchen Bitches

Bristol (retired), Mill'E SD. and Laveau Guide Dog, CGC.
"Life breaks us all, but afterwards, many of us are strongest at the
broken places." -- Ernest Hemingway
  pawpower4me at gmail.com

MSN: Brisomania at Hotmail.com
AIM: Brissysgirl Yahoo: lillebriss