[nagdu] Refusing to Work

Buddy Brannan buddy at brannan.name
Sun May 24 23:17:52 UTC 2009

On May 24, 2009, at 6:55 PM, Julie J wrote:

> Yup.  I have.   It's not a sign of good things to come.

I'd agree with Julie on this one. Having said that, the question is
fairly general. Do you mean that your dog refuses to work (i.e. you
get the harness, he isn't interested and won't go at all), or he
refuses to work in specific situations, specific areas, or under
specific conditions?

It's not a good sign in either case. How can you assure you won't run
into said specific conditions, for instance? Depending on what those
conditions are, it might be possible for you to avoid working your dog
in those situations. But then you had better watch for generalizing of
the behavior anyway.

My first dog had a bladder infection. After about three weeks of it
not going away, he started standing across the room from me and not
coming when I got the harness, very out of character for him at the
time. It didn't take a rocket scientist to figure out that he was
telling me he was done. Miraculously, right after the retirement, his
bladder infection went away. One thing about Karl was that he was
always on, even when he was off. I mean, even out of harness, he was
still watching and seemed to feel on duty and responsible. Constant
vigilance like that undoubtedly takes its toll and causes its own
special brand of stress, and I'm sure that that contributed to his
somewhat shortened working career; he worked for six and a half years
and retired roughly six more before his passing. (Chet doesn't suffer
from hypervigilance; when the harness is off, I could fall down a well
and, unlike Lassie, he probably wouldn't notice. In harness, however,
he's super and loves his work.)
--
Buddy Brannan, KB5ELV - Erie, PA
Phone: (814) 746-4127 or 888-75-BUDDY