[nagdu] asuming cost my guides life.

Linda Gwizdak linda.gwizdak at cox.net
Mon May 25 19:12:43 UTC 2009

Hi Stepper,
Good story and good lesson. We just don't know what can happen. This sort of
thing happens all the time to pet dog owners - even to Bill Clinton and his
chocolate Lab he got while in the White House.  After Clinton left the
presidency, he moved to his new home in New York. After a short time,
someone left a gate open and the dog ran out and was killed by a car.  As
I've said before, our guide dogs have no more sense than a pet dog when it
comes to running free and encountering a car. We have to really safeguard
ALL of our dogs to keep them safe. Same goes for our small children - same
thing has happened to them when they get out of the house or yard
unattended.

This all reminds me of something that happened here in San Diego back in
1988.  I know this person, too. She was in the house and had just given her
guide dog a bath.  The lady's husband was out working in the garden and they
just let the dog be loose in their unfenced yard to dry. The dog had no
collar on.  The husband got busy concentrating on the gardening and the dog
evidentally saw something or someone and left the yard.  Without the collar
tags to jangle, the dog slipped off without a sound.

The story was on the TV news and the stations put out info so viewers could
call if the dog was seen. Several days passed without any sight or word
about the dog. These people live near the Mexican border. One day a man
happened to find a yellow Lab on the grassy median strip for Route 5 - a
very heavily used freeway.  The man who saw the dog on the median strip
stopped and coaxed the dog inside his truck.  This man was a Mexican coming
into the US.  In his truck bed was a statue of the Virgin Mary.  He brought
the dog to the person he was delivering the statue to and she cared for the
dog.  Then she saw the story of the lost guide dog and she called the TV
station.  the news people at the station then reealized that the dog matched
the description of the lost guide dog and the station brought the dog to my
friend - it WAS her lost dog!  So, here was a story that started out bad,
had a whole lot of things that could have gone bad, but it turned out good
with a healthy dog being returned safe and soound.  My friend never did this
again with that dog or any of her successor dogs. They were only alowed
outside off leash in her fenced back yard and NEVER the unfenced front yard!

Stepper, hope you're doing well!

Linda and Landon