[nagdu] Guide Horse, was: Have to Ask

Ann Edie annedie at nycap.rr.com
Tue May 26 21:34:10 UTC 2009

Hi, Sarah,

Panda was privately trained for me by Alexandra Kurland, who wrote the
foundation books and other resources which introduced the horse training
world to clicker training.  So, naturally, all of Panda's training was done
using the clicker and positive reinforcement.  But really, she was quite a
confident youngster, even when we got her, at 8 months old.  She was quite
curious about things, not easily spooked.  If she encountered something
unfamiliar on her early walks with her trainer, Alex would click and reward
Panda for standing and looking at the unfamiliar object.  Usually that was
all it took to let her know that strange objects were sources of good
things--rewards--rather than dangerous.

Besides, miniature horses are much easier to control than a full-sized
horse--Panda is easier for me to hold onto than my 70-pound GSD guide dog
was.  Panda has never spooked and tried to bolt off, which is something my
GSD guide dog did frequently.  About the most spooking Panda has ever done
is a quick little startle, after which she is right back at work.  When she
does startle, it is usually something that truly needs to be watched out
for.  A lot of miniature horses have the same calm temperament as Panda has.

By the way, if anyone wants to learn more about Panda's training and how she
works, or about clicker training, you can go to Alexandra Kurland's website:
http://www.theclickercenter.com.

There is also a book by Rosanna Hansen about Panda and me.  It is called
Panda: A Guide Horse for Ann, and it is available through the Library of
Congress in Braille and recording, and through bookshare.org.  It was
written primarily for elementary-age children, but has a lot of information
in it.  And sighted people will appreciate the photographs in the original
print edition.

Best,
Ann