[nagdu] Guide Horse, was: Have to Ask

Ann Edie annedie at nycap.rr.com
Tue May 26 22:41:41 UTC 2009

Hi, Nicole,

Yes, Panda plays.  She has even invented her own game.

When she's in the house, she likes to play fetch with a canvas frisbee or
her small stuffed toys.  She brings them back to me and places them right in
my hand, so I will toss them again.  Of course she also likes to snuggle
with me, and she likes to stand by my side while I'm cutting up vegetables
or fruit; she tries to look her cutest so that I won't be able to resist
giving her a treat.

The game Panda invented is called "Panda Catch".  It is played in a large
indoor or outdoor enclosed space, with two or more people and Panda.  Panda
runs to stand in heel position by the side of one of the people.  When she
is in perfect position, the person clicks and gives Panda a tiny treat.
Then she dashes off to another person, approaching them from the front,
circling around behind them, and coming up on their left side into heel
position, racing between the people as if she were a little barrel racer and
the people were the barrels.  She waits patiently for her click and treat,
and then gallops off to "catch" another person.  It's a great game for using
up excess energy in the middle of winter when ice and cold keep us from
getting a lot of walking in.  And the humans don't have to move at all,
although they can take evasive actions and Panda will keep up with them
until she captures them by getting into heel position.

She is quite the little personality.

Best,
Ann