[nagdu] new

Tamara Smith-Kinney tamara.8024 at comcast.net
Thu May 28 20:57:15 UTC 2009

Katrin,

Are you sure he's not a poodle in disguise?  /grin/  Actually, the theory is
that curly-coated retrievers and poodles are distantly related, so maybe
there is some commonality there.  I get mad as a wet hen if somebody goes on
about hoe my guide dog provides companionship I must need in my lonely
world, but the truth is that Mitzi is a kick in the pants and a really good
buddy to hang out with and play and laugh with when she's not working.
/smile/  She does the funniest, craziest things, too, and has an incredible
sense of humor.  So she's always cracking me up.  She's all business in
harness now, with only occasional distracted moments.

I ended up training her much as you describe your training James.  I got me
this puppy, she seems to have all the right stuff, I know how to train
animals and I've read a lot about guide and service dogs, so...  It wasn't
so much a questions of deciding why I should train her for guiding as it was
simply not being able to come up with an answer to the question, "Why *not*
train her?"  It's a whole new level, though, isn't it?

I'm glad you have good docotrs and that you've found a program to work with.
O&M training is a really good idea, too.  I have retinitis pigmentosa, which
means I'm losing my retinal cells from the outside in, and have been in the
process of losing that last central vision for about 10 years now.  The
process doesn't happen smoothly, so I'll adapt to a certain level when it's
stable for awhile, then lose some more and have to adapt...  That has gone a
lot more smoothly since I started just using my adaptive skills anyway,
although I tend to get lazy and use whatever level of vision I've adapted to
and then wonder why I go all to pieces and have horrible headaches when I
suddenly can't see...  So I can sorta relate to your ups and downs.  So much
of vision is in the brain, anyway!  If I have a really rapid progression, or
if a lot of small ones suddenly catch up with me for some reason, I'm
functionally way more "blind" that I would be on paper if an ophthamologist
looked into my eyes at that time.  Other times, I "see" way better than I
would on paper, just because my brain has adapted and learned to use the
visual information it's getting more efficiently.

Anyway, I've gotten a lot fewer concussion since I made the
mental/psychological crossover from "sighted but can't see too good" to
"blind."  Sometimes I find myself getting into trouble because mentally I'm
"using" my vision where it's not really usable, and then I use sunglasses or
sleepshade to retrain myself.

Having a guide dog really helps with orientation during these times.  When I
would go through them with my cane, my orientation would fall all to pieces
between one step and the next, and there I would be reeling down the
sidewalk like the proverbial drunken sailor!  So not cool!  /smile/  Also,
it would take forever to get where I was going that way, and I would be
really frazzled when I got there.  Ugh!  I keep up my cane skills as I lose
more vision and adapt, but when those moments of disorientation happen now,
I can just pay more attention to following my dog and trusting her, which
resolves the problem really quickly.  Whew!

How old is James?

Tami Smith-Kinney