[nagdu] college & guide dogs

Linda Gwizdak linda.gwizdak at cox.net
Sat May 30 05:27:14 UTC 2009

Hi Katrin,
I didn't have a guide dog when I was in college - my vision was still quite
good and I could travel without a cane or dog.

I had a friend at college in Boston who had her first guide. She and I were
roommates and I sure enjoyed having a dog in our room! She started out with
a single room but later we decided to move in together.  We had our first
apartment together after graduation and we lived together for several years.
By that time, my own vision deteriorated and I got my first guide a year
after we graduated from college.  I got my Associates Degree.

I helped my roommate teach her dog to ignore squirrels and birds by alerting
my roommate to the dog's looking at the animals and I had a code word to
tell my friend when to correct the dog. Several sessions of this resulted in
the dog giving up on that and it was better for her to concentrate on her
work (grin!).

My roommate used to leave her dog in the room when she went to the cafeteria
because back then other students weren't as respectful towards a working
dog - they'd drop stuff for the dog to snarf up off the floor.  So, life's
too short. I could see pretty well myself so I was the sighted guide for my
roommate and another blind friend and it all worked out fine.  I'm sure
things are different now in college cafeterias so just work your dog in
there as you would any restaurant setting.

Many years later, I did return to college to finish my BA degree and I had a
dog there.  Everyone loved my dog. I doubt you'll have any problems. If you
do, you always know that you can come to us to help you out!

What are you going to study?  There's so much now to assist blind and
disabled students in their college experience that were unheard of when I
went.

Good for you to do this and good luck!

Linda and Landon