[nagdu] Do's and Don't's

The Pawpower Pack pawpower4me at gmail.com
Sat May 30 23:08:54 UTC 2009

My dogs are allowed on my couch and my bed.  I am Deafblind and my
dogs do sound alert work which is pretty hard to do if said dog is on
tie down.

If the dog is new to my home or if my dog needs to be confined for
some reason-- they have a crate.  However their crate doors are
usually left open for them to come and go as they wish.

My dogs are allowed to get on the counter or the table if they are
cued by me to do so-- an example of this might be if I need my dog to
help clear the table after a meal or if I need something from a
counter and can't (for whatever reason) stand up and get said item
myself.  My dogs are also allowed to lay by my chair during meals but
they know not to beg.

As for traveling, all of the friends I stay with when out of town are
dog people.  If they're not dog people then I usually don't stay with
them and will get a hotel.  I bring a sheet or light blanket to the
hotel when I travel and spread it over the top of the hotel linens.  I
have vertigo and sometimes my dogs need to get on whatever bed I'm in
in order to bring me things.  Also to alert me to sounds.  and yes,
they do sleep up there.  I find that as a deafblind person I do better
when I know where my dog is.  If she gets up in the night I can feel
her move and can wake up.  If she weren't next to me I'd not be able
to tell what she was doing.

Everyone has different "rules", I think it's important to find what
works for the individual.

Rox and the Kitchen Bitches

Bristol (retired), Mill'E SD. and Laveau Guide Dog, CGC.
"Life breaks us all, but afterwards, many of us are strongest at the
broken places." -- Ernest Hemingway
  pawpower4me at gmail.com

MSN: Brisomania at Hotmail.com
AIM: Brissysgirl Yahoo: lillebriss