[nagdu] college & guide dogs

Garry and Joy Relton relton30857 at cox.net
Sun May 31 19:49:28 UTC 2009

Having a right to live in a dorm is distinguishable from giving people
options of who and what they live with. It is not uncommon for people to
change roommates in college. It can be anything from an allergy to perfume,
dislike of parties, loud music, dislike of the individual and more. If your
roommate turned out to be a smoker and you were allergic to cigarette smoke
you would request a change. Unless smoking is prohibited the individual
doesn't have to list that they are a smoker, nor does their smoking lessen
their right to live in the dorm. When I use the word "have to" I mean that
you are not required to do so. Sometimes, though less frequently today, it
is better not to raise a flag of any special circumstances because of all of
the baggage that goes with it. For example, if an airline finds out
that you travel with a dog guide they may schedule an assistant to meet you
in security and take you through the airport, deposit you in a chair near
the gate door and have someone walk you down with the other preboarders, and
sit you in a bulk head seat. I do not want any of these accommodations in
general and I never want them thrust on me, so I do not tell them that I am
flying with a dog guide. It's pretty obvious when I arrive and generally, I
have  no problem making the arrangements I am entitled to have, and
accepting or not accepting any of the accommodations or curtesies extended
to me. The important thing is that I'm the paying customer who knows her
needs and abilities better than some well meaning individual. That does not
give me the right to be rude or abusive to anyone who extends those
curtesies or who tries to make arrangements they think are best for me
without discussing them with me. Perhaps another example of the word right
that sometimes makes better sense to people, is that If you are a licensed
driver you have the expectation of being able to drive the roads without
being profiled unnecessarily. Driving is a privilege, not a right, however,
if you drive recklessly or disobey the state laws relating to driving you
will lose that privilege, but you have a right to a fair procedure in having
that privilege revoked. Hope that clarifies my point rather than muddying
it.

I think that knowing that you have a right to enter a restaurant, live in a
dorm or rent an apartment accompanied by your dog guide means that you
shouldn't feel that you need to apologize to anyone who happens to be
allergic, not that you should be insensitive. So, you change roommates, or
sit at a table a little further away from that individual, but you don't sit
on a patio in the winter or in a corner of the kitchen.