[nagdu] Last Oct. update

Ed and Toni Eames eeames at csufresno.edu
Sun Nov 1 06:50:13 UTC 2009

Last Oct. update

Hi all,

I've gotten through a week without my love.  The days are still
filled with friends, and I am holding up well.  Mornings are the
hardest with tears of facing the day without Ed.  People keep
assuring me I have my memories, but I can't go to bed or wake up or
travel with memories.  I need to reinvent my life.

One shining spot is that my oncologist pronounced me cured of the
breast cancer I experienced 11 years ago.  However, he did want me to
have a repeat bone density test.  Another medical chapter?

I didn't want to leave Latrell home alone so soon after losing his
partner, so Anita and Eric took him on several play dates while I
took care of chores.  I have signed the official papers adopting him
from Guide Dogs for the Blind.  While Ed was with me, the cats slept
in bed and the Goldens on the floor.  Everyone was allowed in bed in
the morning for a cuddle session.  I haven't been sleeping well in
the empty bed, so now I get to share the warmth of the dogs
throughout the night.

For many years Ed chaired two Fresno Committees on ADA issues.  A
year ago, the committees were dispanded by the city and a disability
advisory commission established in its place. Ed was not selected to
be a commissioner, probably because of the outspoken nature of his
advocacy.  However, he was chosen to receive the first annual DAC
Achievement award.  Since Ed was in the hospital on Oct. 1 when the
Fresno City Council presented the beautiful plaque and commemorative
mug, Paul Kwiatkowski, our Handy Ride paratransit company manager,
accepted the award for Ed, reading a speech prepared by Ed.  Ed was
such a tireless worker to make Fresno a disability friendly city, it
was unfortunate he was unable to receive this award in person.

Last year we were selected to attend an international veterinary
behavior conference to be held in Kansas City from Oct. 21-25.  Not
only would we see friends, but also have the opportunity to present a
new lecture format for us.  We had scheduled a presentation at Bayer
Animal Health and an evening at Kansas State.  During Ed's first
hospitalization, it was clear we would have to give up this
long-awaited trip.  Even through Toni's breast cancer and spinal
fusion hospitalizations and Ed's heart surgery, we've never had to
cancel a speaking engagement.  It was disappointing, but necessary,
and thankfully Cara Miller, a hearing dog partner, covered our material.

My grief is carried in my heart, so despite feeling reluctant, I
chose to attend the California Council of the Blind convention held
in Fresno.  Ever since we knew the dates, we intended to participate.

On Thursday, the 29th seven blind folks and I met with Emily Simone,
field trainer and orientation instructor with GDB, and Brian Jones,
Fresno traffic engineer, to experience what it is like for a blind
person with cane or dog to cross a roundabout or traffic circle.  Ed
had planned this tour many months ago and hoped to have media
attention.  The experience was valuable with Emily's excellent
explanations, but no media coverage was had.  In the original plans,
I was not going to be part of the group, but wanted to do so in Ed's
honor.  Unfortunately, I was not able to stand for the more than an
hour presentation, so planted myself on the ground and listened to
the talk from afar.

On Friday, puppy raiser Mary Flynn drove Keebler, Latrell wearing his
retired guide dog vest and me to the convention.  I spent some time
at the GDB table in the exhibit hall, then attended sessions and a
banquet dinner.  On Saturday, Halloween, Debbie Prieto accompanied us
back to the Radisson for more convention sessions.  I returned home
for a well needed break, then Stephanie Stanley returned with us for
the final banquet.  Sadly, as I knew, my appetite returned and I've
been eating too much.

Life can change in a flash, so remember to tell your friends and
loved ones how much they mean to you.  I need to concentrate on that
last hospital visit when Ed was on such a high and I kissed him
goodbye with hope and encouragement in my heart.  I need to blot out
the week of coma and unresponsiveness.

I am planning a memory book to be displayed at the Dec. 12 memorial
service at the Unitarian Universalist Church.  Our noon celebration
will feature lots of food, because Ed wouldn't have it any other
way!  If you haven't already done so, please send an e-mail with your
special memories of Ed.  Is there a funny incident you can
recall?  Did he have a specific impact on your life?  Did you have an
intense conversation about something?  What are your special personal
memories of this incredible friend and advocate for so many?

Again, I very much appreciate your support.  Please keep it up until
I can make it on my own.

Toni and Furries