[nagdu] update on Minnesota Guide Dog Attack

Marion & Martin swampfox1833 at verizon.net
Sun Nov 8 11:18:02 UTC 2009

Dear All,
    You may remember the story that was circulated through this list a couple of months ago about a woman who kicked a guide dog at a WalMart. After reading the story, I contacted Lolly Lijewski to see what assistance NAGDU could be for her. Here is an update on the issue.

Fraternally yours,
Marion Gwizdala

For those who are interested in following the story, or in attending the upcoming hearing for Victoreen Madison, the woman who assaulted Brook, my Seeing Eye Dog, the hearing is scheduled for Thursday, November 19, at 8:30.  The location is 401 4th Avenue in Minneapolis, room 141.

  If you plan to attend, there are some things to know:

  It is very possible she won't come.

  The authorities will likely give her until 11 or 12 o'clock to show up.  This means it's a "hurry up and wait," scenario.

  There will be other cases that are scheduled to be heard that morning as well.

  If she doesn't come, a "bench warrant," will be issued for her.  This means that if she commits any crimes in the future, she can be brought in on this charge, but the police will not go knocking on her door. Additionally, if she is on probation for any past crimes, she can be brought in to face this charge.

  I will have the opportunity to make a "victim's impact statement," which I plan to do.

  Other service dog handlers can also submit victim's impact statements to the City Attorney's office.  They will pass them on to the judge who is scheduled to handle the case.  Some judges take these statements into account, and some don't, when handing down a sentence.

  I asked the City Attorney to ask for community service in this case, if Ms. Madison shows any remorse for her action.

  Ms. Madison will be assigned a public defender.

  If she comes to the hearing on the 19, and pleads guilty, the judge will pass down a sentence at that time.  If she shows up, but pleads innocent, there will be a trial.

  If you are interested in submitting a victim's impact statement, please reply to me at lijewski_6 at q.com and I will pass on the information on where to send it.

  Thank you for your interest, and your support!

  Lolly and Brook