[nagdu] Allergy ruling could lead to ban on pets inairplanecabin

Steve Johnson stevencjohnson at centurytel.net
Thu Nov 12 12:33:46 UTC 2009

I am not writing this for the sake of argument, but would like to shed a
little more verbage into this conversation, as we are talking about Canada
here in this particular article, but need to understand how allergenic
conditions are viewed here in the U.S....read on.

Allergies can be considered a disabling condition here in the United States
if the definition of disability is met.  Remember that there are many types
of allergies, including food, molds, pollens, latex etc.  There are those
who have such significant reactions to these that they go into anaphalactic
shock, can cause significant adverse reactions and push someone's asthma to
where it becomes life-threatening etc.  There are a multitude of conditions
that may seem to be "nothing" to the on-looker, but unless we truly
understand how these conditions truly impact the daily lives of individuals,
we should not assume that it does not negatively impact their daily lives.
Remember, there are even individuals in our own world whose sight is good by
day, but not by night, and you can bet that they are looked at being
non-disabled while a the same time we know the truth.  Basically, I am just
asking everyone to rethink how we view others and just to keep an open mind.

I work with persons with disabilities everyday in my profession, and it is
not my place to interpret whether their condition is legit or not, but
rather to understand how it impacts their daily activities.  Remember the
definition of disability as stated in the ADA, and if Canada adopts such a
definition, this would be a non-issue.  However, we are talking airlines
here in this particular case, so the paralell would be the air-carrier act
here in the U.S.

You might be interested in looking at more information on this particular
subject at the JAN site pasted below as there are many titles addressing
allergies:

http://www.jan.wvu.edu/pubsandres/list.htm

We don't know if these individuals are traveling for work, for leisure or
whatever, but we do know that the United States does fit such individuals
into a protected class if they meet the broader definition.

Thanks for listening,