[nagdu] Latest Airline Adventure

Peter Donahue pdonahue1 at sbcglobal.net
Sun Nov 15 04:39:14 UTC 2009

Good Saturday evening everyone,

    Just so no one thinks Johnny and I fell off of the face of the Earth, or
that we gave up on flying after that horrendous experience I had with
Southwest Airlines last summer I thought I would share our latest flight
adventures with everyone.

    Before I get in to that shortly before we left for Kansas to broadcast
their 2009 State Convention I discovered to my horror that some of my
recording equipment was damaged by Southwest Airlines in addition to all of
the other junk we put up with them last summer. I wish I had discovered it
sooner. Those people would be paying me for a second seat refund and
more!Now on to the latest high-flying adventure. This time around we flew on
Delta and were treated far better than we were on Southwest. We left on the
morning of Thursday November 5 and boarded our flight to Wichita at 6 a.m.
Since our flights weren't full Delta sat Mary across from me and allowed me
to have an entire row in coach for Johnny and myself. On this particular
aircraft the rows are only two across which made it necessary for them to
sit us across from each other. The entire area under the seat in front of us
was vary roomy so Johnny had lots of space in which to make himself
comfortable. As it turned out the gate agent we saw who I believe is also a
Delta Supervisor said she knew us from previous trips and assisted us on to
the plane to be sure neither of us had seating-related issues. Delta's way
of dealing with customers of size is far better than those of other carriers
praise God. For them to charge a large passenger for a second seat would be
ludicrous as on some of their aircraft such as the CRJ-9000 all seat arms
are fixed in place. There's no way passengers seated in a row can infringe
on each others seat space. Some of the flight attendants I told my Southwest
experience to were as disgusted about their treatment of me as I was. As for
Johnny he made himself comfortable wherever he was in the aircraft cabin.

    We had a wonderful time visiting our Kansas Affiliate and we'll be
posting recordings of their 2009 State Convention by the end of the month.

    Because we stopped for lunch on our way back to Wichita from Salina we
missed our flight home last Sunday evening but Delta did not disappoint.
They booked us on a flight last Monday without charging us a change fee
although they did mess up a little on the information for our flight
connection in Memphis which was close and the connecting flight was on the
other end of the airport you know how those things go. None the less the
Delta folks did their best to insure we didn't miss our flight home and went
out of their way to get us on that flight. When I received my Coke it was
brought to me in a glass. It was then I discovered they had slipped Johnny
and I in to First Class though Mary sat in coach. But we really didn't care.
We were on our way home and neither one of us was ready to discuss class
distinctions.

    As for my equipment I kept it all with me and allowed any bags that
would not fit in the overhead bin to be valet checked. This means I was able
to hand them over before we boarded the plane and pick them up once we got
off rather than retrieving all of our baggage in the baggage area. It
worked. All of my recording equipment arrived home intact ready for the next
job.

    There's a funny incident that happened before we left last Monday
morning. Due to having missed our flight on Sunday Donna Wood, the NFB of
Kansas President put us up for the night at her lovely home.  She has
several planters in her back yard one of which did not have anything growing
in it. When I took Johnny out to relieve himself he pulled me towards the
planter and hopped in to it to do his business. My theory is that he
probably figured that we were at a national convention and that Donna's
planter was a sandbox. He knows that when we're at national convention I
expect him to go in the sandbox. I later told this to Donna and she got a
good laugh. "I'll look forward to growing some good-tasting vegetables next
year and will have Johnny to thank for it. He picked the right place to do
his business" she said in our phone conversation after we arrived home.

    There was at least one other guide dog team at the convention and a
support dog. All dogs behaved well and everyone picked up During the
convention. During the convention we discussed flying. Some of their members
are also exploring the possibility of using air charters in the future as
scheduled airline service in that state has become quite a hassle. One must
often fly way out of their way to reach another part of the state. One
individual told me that he once had to fly to Kansas City from Wichita via
Memphis. Greyhound bus service isn't much better. Mary and I are keeping
that dream alive for ourselves, but it's good to know that there is at least
one airline Johnny and I can fly on without having to get in to it over
seating. We had a great time and look forward to future federation
adventures in 2010.

Peter Donahue