[nagdu] People problems on the bus

Mardi Hadfield wolfsinger.lakota at gmail.com
Thu Nov 26 01:03:41 UTC 2009

Jeanette, my dog was owner trained with the help of a trainer. Nick, my
trainer went back to collage and is having final exams right now. He said he
would help as soon as he could. I do have another friend who may be willing
to help.Dar, I use a halti which is similar to the gentle leader on Shaman
all the time as I am deaf in one ear and can't tell where sound is coming
from. I can feel my dog turn his head toward the sound better when using the
halti rather than just using a regular collar. I find my self constantly
correcting my dog, and he is beginning to ignore the corrections. He is not
a soft dog. I don't want to ruin him by over correction, but these people
are also ruining his training. I tried to use the clicker to train him to
touch my leg if some one was petting him, but if he is already on the bus
and I am still off the bus, that doesn't work. Julie, I don't have as much
trouble if I get a bus with a ramp as we can go up the ramp together. The
bus company seems to put the older buses with lifts on the routs I have to
take.These lifts are very fragile and half the time they are broken down.
They are suppose to be able to hold up to 600 lbs. but some times they
falter with just me and my chair on it. My wheelchair weighs 250 lbs.,the
dog 65lbs., and I weigh 180. These old lifts will not work with that much
combined weight on it. That is why I do it the way I do. We do have Para
transit but I only qualify for medical appointments.For any other
destination, I have to ride the bus. Marion, I live in Tucson Arizona,and
yes we do have laws protecting us but they are never enforced. If you
remember a while ago when I was still using Nala and Shaman was in training.
The bus driver had a passenger kick Nala and push her off the bus because he
did not want to let me on the bus. He said that the bus was full but there
were no other wheelchairs on it and he let other people that were walking on
but refused me and Nala. With all the complaints I made and even tried to
file a complaint with the atty. gen., ABSOLUTLY NOTHING was ever done about
it. This is a state that is not "friendly" to the disabled. The service dog
laws are NEVER enforced. I was arrested and dragged through court because
some one said they saw me beating Lily, my first guide.This was done by
people who were interfering with my dog and I gave the dog a leash
correction because she was distracted by these people. They interfered and I
was arrested,because I corrected my dog. I did not beat her nor have I ever
beat any animal, but that is Tucson AZ. A lot  weird people live here. I am
at my wits end. I dread having to go out in public now. I can see myself
becoming a recluse very easily.   Mardi and Shaman and Nala,retired.

--
http://wolfsinger-lakota.blogspot.com/