[nagdu] guide dog responsibilities

Tracy Carcione carcione at access.net
Mon Nov 30 14:10:21 UTC 2009

Hi Chris.  Welcome to the list!

I've had a guide dog for nearly 30 years now, so may not be the best
person to answer your question.  I remember being worried about the
responsibilities, but then they turned out to be no big deal.  Now, in the
few times I've been without a dog, I've rather missed the routine of
feeding and relieving.  But I also grew up with dogs, so those little jobs
have been part of my life for quite a long time.  The only time I notice
is if I'm in a day-long series of meetings, and I have to make time to
take the dog out, give him water, or feed him.  It's sometimes a struggle
to make the time, but then I get out in the fresh air, or I relax a few
minutes while the beast eats, and I find I've enjoyed the little break.
On ordinary days, it's just part of my routine.  Get up, get dressed, feed
the dog, take him out, get my stuff ready for work, get out the door. At
lunchtime, take the dog out, go get my lunch.  And so on.

As for getting more respect with a dog, well... I think that many sighted
people think that when the cane touches something, it's a mistake.  They
don't understand that's how the cane works.  Dogs don't touch obstacles,
so sighted people see that as making less mistakes.  That's what I think,
anyway.  But there are still people who will assume I'm lost, even though
I'm bopping down the sidewalk at a good clip.  And, as my friend said when
he got a dog "I never realized how much people talk about dogs!"  Wherever
you go, you are apt to hear conversations about dogs.
Some people will still try and grab me and push me in the direction they
want me to go, too.  I think it's less than when I have a cane, but I'm
not sure.  I just shake them off.
HTH.
Tracy